LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - The Lake Charles Police Department has released its final report after the owner of a local business reported finding rope tied as a noose on the door of his business.
KPLC obtained a copy of the final report through a public records request.
The Lake Charles Police Department began investigating after Darrell Bennett, the owner of 3topia, posted a Facebook Live showing a rope on the door to his business, saying he had arrived to find it hanging there and tied like a noose.
The LCPD investigation found that an owner of another local business in the area had placed the ropes on the door, but they were untied when she left. Bennett and the other business owner were in dispute over 3topia customers parking in the lot of her business. The ropes were used by 3topia security to cordon off the other parking lot but had been left there the next day.
Bennett could not be reached for comment.
Key findings from the report:
- The woman who placed the ropes at 3topia did not tie the rope into knots. It was untied when initially placed.
- The ropes were initially put up in the parking lot of the woman's business by 3topia security to keep 3topia patrons from parking there.
- She told police she had complained to 3topia several times, to no avail, and cut the rope up and placed it at 3topia out of frustration. She said however, that she did not tie the rope into a knot.
- Police say surveillance video showed her with pieces of untied rope, but never show her tying any of the pieces into knots. She stood at the door of 3topia for four seconds, during which time she was only partially seen on surveillance video.
- The ropes were placed on 3topia's door and in the parking lot around 9:10 a.m.
- Bennett posted his Facebook Live at 7:09 p.m., saying he had found the rope at the door of his business, tied like a noose.
- Several people, including Bennett, are seen approaching the door or walking through it between 9:10 a.m. and 7:09 p.m.
Read the final report HERE.