LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - Every year there are thousands of electronics that get thrown away improperly.
Things like computers, televisions, phones and other consumer electronics contain hazardous material that can be harmful.
On Saturday, March 3, CITGO is holding their annual E-Recycle day to help you dispose of your unwanted electronics safely.
From 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. you can bring your electronics to the McNeese Cowboy Stadium parking lot in Lake Charles to get rid of your items.
Items that will be accepted for recycling:
- Computers, computer monitors, computer peripherals
- Printers, fax machines, keyboards
- TVs, VCRs, Stereos
- Home and Office Phones, Mobile Phones
- Consumer Electronics
Items that will NOT be accepted:
- Smoke detectors, fire alarms
- Large Appliances (i.e. refrigerators)
- Medical equipment
- Units with sludge or liquids
Mercury Items that will be accepted for recycling:
- Thermometers containing metallic or liquid mercury
- Lamps (fluorescent, high-intensity discharge, neon, mercury vapor, high-pressure sodium and metal halide).