McNeese's season ends in WBI opening round loss to Stetson

Published: Mar. 18, 2016 at 3:18 AM CDT|Updated: May. 17, 2016 at 3:18 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

DELAND, FL - McNeese State's women's basketball season as well as the careers of seniors Allison Baggett and Jayln Johnson came to an end here Thursday night with an 89-54 loss to Stetson in the first round of the WBI. McNeese ends its season with a 20-13 record.

"Obviously it didn't go the way we wanted it to go today," said head coach Brooks Donald Williams. "Stetson is a really good team and we knew that we would have to play our best to be able to compete on their home floor. This loss doesn't mean that our team didn't do special things this year and that they didn't deserve to play in this tournament. Anytime you send your seniors off to play in another game, I think that is really special," Williams said. 

McNeese didn't have the best shooting night, ending the game shooting only 30 percent from the field but got over half of its points from the bench which has been of help late in the season.

Stetson shot lights out with most of their baskets coming off layup off Cowgirl turnovers. The Hatters ended the game shooting 65 percent from the field and placed four players in double figure scoring. 

Brianti Saunders led all players with 20 points. She was joined in double figures with Sarah Sagerer (17), DeAsia Beal (14), and McKenna Beach and Myka Johnson-Matthews who both had 10 points apiece.

Baggett ended her career by leading the Cowgirls with 17 points on the night and was the only Cowgirl to score in double figures. Baggett was 7 of 23 from the field with three 3-pointers and four assists. Johnson had a tough night and ended the game with two points. She got into early foul trouble and eventually fouled out in the fourth quarter. 

Stetson scored the first six points of the games and pretty much had their way with McNeese throughout the game. The Cowgirls didn't help their cause by turning the ball over 14 times in the first half and allowed Stetson to score 36 of their 46 first half points in the paint. Stetson ended the game by scoring 62 of their 89 points in the paint and outrebounded the Cowgirls 43-29. McNeese ended the game with 19 turnovers, committing only five in the second half.

After trailing early in the game, a Baggett three-pointer with 1:28 left in the first quarter tied the game at 14 all but that would be as close as McNeese would get. Stetson would score the next eight points to take a 22-14 lead. After a Baggett jumper, Stetson went on another run to take a 30-16 lead that aided by five straight Cowgirl turnovers. The Hatters were 14 of 17 from the field in the second quarter and went through a stretch where they made nine straight field goals as they held a 46-24 halftime lead. 

The Hatters continued to capitalize on Cowgirl mistakes in the second half and eventually built a 30-point lead twice in the third period and then held a 30-point lead for good with 3:38 left in the game.