Cowgirls defeat Incarnate Word in double overtime

Published: Jan. 23, 2015 at 9:19 PM CST|Updated: Mar. 24, 2015 at 9:26 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS - McNeese women's basketball held on for a thrilling 104-101 double overtime win over Incarnate Word Thursday.

In a game that saw several ties and lead , it was a tale of two halves in regulation that sent the game to not one overtime, but two. The 104 points scored by the Cowgirls is the first time McNeese hit the century mark since McNeese defeated Texas College during the 2010-11 season.

McNeese had three players record double doubles and five players scored in double figures. Allison Baggett and Jayln Johnson lead all players with 25 apiece. Baggett was 11 of 24 from the field and Johnson was 7 of 20 including 9-12 from the free throw line. Talisa Boyd recorded her second career double-double with 11 points and 15 rebounds. Johnson also recorded a double-double by dishing out 10 assists. Mercedes Rogers recorded her first career double double with a career high 10 points, tying her career high with 10 rebounds. Amber Donnes ended the game with 10 points.

McNeese used a full-court press and solid defense and shot the ball extremely well in the first half to go into the locker room with a 53-44 halftime lead.

The Cowgirls held leads of seven points a few times during the first half, but the shooting by the Cowgirls from behind the arc would push the Cowgirls' lead to its largest lead of the game of 11, which would be the halftime score.

What got the Cowgirls their halftime lead wasn't present in the second half as UIW outscored the Cowgirls 40-31 in the second half and outrebounded McNeese 29-11. UIW began the second half on an 11-2 run to take a 55-51 lead but McNeese came back to take a 69-68 lead with 7:48 left in regulation. The second half consisted of 11 ties.

With the Cowgirls trailing 84-82 with 35 seconds left in the game, Johnson made a layup with 27 seconds left to tie the game. UIW had a chance to win the game but Aricka Adams missed a jumper with four seconds. UIW got the offensive rebound but was unable to get a shot off as time expired, sending the game into overtime.

In the first overtime, the Cowgirls fought off a four-point deficit twice with the last one coming with 1:15 left. With UIW leading 93-89, McNeese's Jasmyn Carswell scored her only two points of the game to cut the lead to 93-91. McNeese caused UIW into a turnover but Baggett miss a jumper that would have tied the game. In an attempt to get the rebound, the ball went out on the Cowgirls.

McNeese fouled Haley Frias on the next trip down the floor, sending her to the line for two free throws. Frias missed both free throws and Johnson took the ball the length of the court and made a layup to send the game into a second overtime.

McNeese opened the second overtime on a 6-2 run to take a 99-95 lead . McNeese would then take a five point lead (103-98) on back to back Baggett buckets with 1:24 left. UIW would cut the Cowgirl lead to two points (103-101) on a three-pointer by Frias with 1:07 left. The Cardinals had a chance to tie the game but Quincey Baker missed two free throws and Rogers picks up the rebound off the second miss and is fouled. Rogers makes the second of two free throws to give McNeese the 104-101 win.

McNeese (10-7, 4-2 SLC) will continue its road trip and will travel to Natchitoches on Saturday for a 1 p.m. game at Northwestern State.