Memorial Day weekend events
Lake Charles, LA (KPLC) - Memorial Day events kick off this weekend, and we have your guide to all the events happening around SWLA:
Friday, May 26
- Carry the Load National Relay Walk: Honoring the sacrifices of our nation’s heroes. Walk commences at 4:45 p.m. with a brief rally at McNeese campus on corner of Sale Rd. and Ryan St. at cowboy statue, followed by 3.8 mile walk to Veterans Memorial Park along Lakeshore Drive.
- Town of Elton Memorial Day: 10-11 a.m. at the Memorial Park
- Downtown at Sundown Concert Series: Featuring Mason Trail and Zydeco Rhythm. Free and open to the public. 6-9 p.m. on Ryan Street in front of the Historic City Hall Arts & Cultural Center.
Saturday, May 27
- Crying Eagle Brewery & The Crawfish Stop’s 2nd annual Crawfish Boil-Off: Attendees can purchase a $15 tasting bank to try different styles of boiled crawfish. Competition entry fee is $125, and participants will be provided two sacks of crawfish but asked to bring their own boil set-ups. Starts at 11 a.m.
- SPAR Waterpark opening day: Admission starts at $6. Opens at 10 a.m.
- City of Lake Charles’ Art in the Park: At Riverside Park, 10 a.m. - noon. Family-friendly event offering arts and crafts for all ages.
- Chamber Fest: Business expo with fun for the whole family. Live music, food vendors, bingo, and 2nd annual Bob Hardey Memorial Golf Tournament at Pinderosa Park in Westlake. Starts at 10 a.m.
- Mae’s Butterflies of Hope Lupus Awareness Walk: Same-day registration starts at 8:30 a.m. at Civic Center.
- Panorama Music House Zydeco Brunch: Gerard Delafose & the Zydeco Gators. 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Jennings Down Home Reunion: Serves as a way to increase family interaction, as a means to research family heritage, and make connections. Starts at 11 a.m. at the corner of Johnson and South Maine streets in Jennings.
- From the Gulf to the Pot Cook-off: Set up at 8 a.m., food served at 11 a.m. $25 entry fee per team, $10 wristbands for adults and $5 wristbands for children for food tasting. 1st and 2nd place prizes. Located at 2018 Brant Street, Holly Beach.
- Stories on Four Strings: Alli Villines and Charissa Hoffman push the limits of what is generally expected from the four-stringed ukulele. The free programs will be 10-11 a.m. at the Sulphur Regional Library, and 2-3 p.m. at Central Library.
- Beyonder Resort Cajun Moon Memorial Day Celebration: Snow cones, live music; free pool pass when you purchase your tickets before Saturday. $10 tickets. 2-3 p.m. Located at 4631 Hwy 27, S. Carlyss.
Sunday, May 28
- Steve Trevino’s “America’s Favorite Husband” Tour: Hosted by Golden Nugget Casino. Starts at 8 p.m.
- Bassmaster BASS Pro Elite Anglers Day: Hosted by Lake Charles Tackle. Fishing pros will be there to meet with fans, take photos and give autographs. 12-4 p.m.
Monday, May 29
- Avenue of Flags: Largest display of memorial flags in the United States. Flags are flown on both sides of the graveled roads in Orange Grove Graceland Cemetery on Broad Street in Lake Charles. Flags raised at 6 a.m. and retired at 5 p.m. Memorial Day Ceremony at 9 a.m.
- Almosta Ranch Memorial Day Weekend: Almosta Lake opens at 9 a.m.; Prayer for fallen soldiers and flag at 10 a.m. Swimming, sliding and ziplining until 7 p.m. Ages 6 & up - $10+tax, ages 5 & under - $5+tax. Vets are free.
- VFW Post 2130 Veterans Lunch: Free lunch provided for all veterans and their families. Fun jumps, waterslide, face painting, and fellowship. 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. at 5676 Lake Street.
- Sons of the American Revolution Ceremony: Honoring Revolutionary War veteran Martin Camersac by installing memorial marker at Sallier Cemetery at 1:30 p.m.
- Vernon Parish Memorial Day Program: Veteran’s organizations from across the parish are joining together to host one united ceremony this year to honor their fallen brethren. Held at 3348 University Parkway in Leesville at 11 a.m.
- Kinder Memorial Day Ceremony: The Kinder Cemetery Association will present its 27th Annual Memorial Day Ceremony at 9:30 a.m. at the Kinder Bible Church on 702 4th Ave. Additionally, the Avenue of Flags display will be at the Kinder McRill Memorial Cemetery at 1610 Kinder Cemetery Rd.
- Brothers Standing in Unity DeRidder Memorial Day Lunch: Vendors will be at Veterans Park at 499 Mahlon St. from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Jennings Memorial Day Ceremony: The Southwest Louisiana Veterans Cemetery will honor veterans at 10 a.m. at 1620 Evangeline Highway in Jennings.
Copyright 2023 KPLC. All rights reserved.