St. Louis’ Appleton wins second cross country state championship
NATCHITOCHES, LA (KPLC) - Ivan Appleton is once again a state champion.
The St. Louis runner won the Class 3A Cross Country individual state championship on Tuesday for the second time in three years. The senior averaged just over five minutes a mile (5:09.3) to narrowly win the event. In the process, Appleton set a new Class 3A record with his time of 15.27.9 which was just under two seconds better than E.D. White’s Braedon Methvin.
Behind’s Appleton’s gold medal, the Saints finished fifth in the state as a team with a total score of 141.
OTHER NOTABLE RESULTS:
• The Leesville boys placed ninth in the Class 4A standings with Kalel Lopez and Kyle Lynn finishing 37th and 39th respectively.
• The Leesville girls placed seventh in the Class 4A standings with freshman Lina Mills-Zacapa finishing eighth.
• The Iowa boys placed ninth in the Class 3A standings with Payton Foreman finishing just outside the top ten.
• The St. Louis girls placed third in the Class 3A standings with both Ella Segura (7th) and Ashleigh Tassin (10th) posting top ten times.
• The Rosepine boys placed fifth in the Class 2A standings with Nicholas Amer posting the 11th best time.
• The Rosepine girls placed sixth in the Class 2A standings with Sophia Jeffers finishing ninth.
• The Merryville girls had a tenth-place finish in the Class 1A standings with eighth-grader McKenna Speights posting the 21st best time.
• The Lacassine boys placed sixth in the Class B standings followed by Hathaway in the ninth spot. Freshman Brent Hargraves led the way for Lacassine finishing 11th overall.
• The Lacassine girls placed third in the Class B standings followed by Hathaway in the eighth spot. Hathaway seventh-grader Kaitlyn Sawyer was the top finisher from the area (16th).
• The Hackberry boys had a sixth-place finish in the Class C standings, although Evans' Lane Williamson was the top runner in the area finishing with the sixth-best time.
• The Hackberry girls finished third in the Class C standings with Blaine Picou finishing seventh overall.
All the results can be found here.
Copyright 2020 KPLC. All rights reserved.