North Shore man pleads guilty to killing mother, injuring deputy

North Shore man pleads guilty to killing mother, injuring deputy
Christopher Dillon was sentenced to 70 years in prison for a shooting rampage. (Source: Washington Parish Sheriff's Office)

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - A North Shore man pleaded guilty Tuesday to killing his mother and injuring two others, including a Franklinton police officer, the Washington and St. Tammany parishes District Attorney’s Office said.

Christopher Rashad Dillon, 25, pleaded guilty near the end of the second day of his trial.

He was sentenced to 70 years in prison without the benefit of parole, probation or suspension of sentence.

Prosecutors said on Dec. 19, 2013, Dillon went to a neighbor’s home and shot the man, while attempting to rob him. The gunshot shattered the victim’s right arm and forced him to have to learn how to use his left hand.

Dillon then returned to his home two blocks away and shot his mother, Robin Dillon, as he rummaged through her purse. In a statement to a medical official, Dillon said his mother was shot as she grabbed for her purse.

Franklinton Police Department officers arrived at the scene, and Dillon pretended he was going to surrender to them. Instead, he fired a shot, striking Sgt. Chad Dorsett in the forearm, investigators said.

The bullet passed through Dorsett’s arm and was stopped by his bullet-proof vest. Dillon prevented officers from entering the residence by claiming he was holding his mother hostage.

However, she already had been shot and lay dying on the floor of her bedroom. She eventually succumbed to her injuries.

After about an hour of the standoff, Dillon started a fire in his mother’s bedroom, and crawled through his bedroom window as the trailer home became engulfed in flames.

He was arrested by officers on the scene.

Dillon initially pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity and was judged incompetent to proceed with the process. But an intensive review of his mental status by state mental health professionals later determined that Dillon was exaggerating the extent of his mental illness.

Dillon was sentenced to 40 years in prison for manslaughter, 50 years for two counts of attempted first degree murder, and 49½ years for one count of attempted armed robbery, all of which are to be served at the same time. But consecutive to those sentences, he also was ordered to serve 20 years in prison for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Copyright 2019 WVUE. All rights reserved.