Sunrise Kitchen: Sauteed Shrimp with Homemade Pita Chips
LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - SOWELA Chef Roy Angelle and his students, Gavin Massey and Kobi Fusilier, share a recipe for sauteed shrimp with homemade pita chips:
Sautéed Shrimp with Home Made Pita Bread
Pita Bread Ingredients
- 3 c. all-purpose
- 1 tsp. dry yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 glass of lukewarm water (40[Symbol]C)
7oz. reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
- 4oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2seedless cucumber, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1T. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 pounds’ large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces of mixed greens
- To prepare this pita bread recipe, start by sieving the flour into your mixer’s bowl. Add the yeast, sugar and salt and blend with a spoon.
- Add a little bit of water and start mixing, using the dough hook. Pour in the water a little bit at a time, at a steady stream, while mixing. Wait each time for the water to be absorbed and continue adding more.
- Depending on the flour, the dough may or may not need a little bit less water than this pita bread recipe calls for. After mixing for a while, the dough for your pita bread should become an elastic ball. If the dough is still crumbled, you should add more water. If it becomes too sticky, this means that you added more water than needed. In that case, add 1 tsp. of flour and continue mixing.
- When done, cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let it sit in a warm place, for at least 20 minutes until it doubles its size.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead a little bit with your hands. Split in 5-6 evenly sized portions.
- To form the pita bread, you can either use a rolling pin, or stretch it with your hands until the proper thickness. For a more traditional look on your pita bread, use a fork to make some holes on top.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to medium-high heat (with no grease) and fry each pita bread for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until slightly colored and still soft. To get more color, you may have press down on the pita bread with a spatula in the pan.
- If not eaten right away, wrap the pita bread with plastic wrap in order to remain soft. Enjoy.
In a medium-size bowl, stir together yogurt, crumbled feta, cucumber and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Season shrimp and pre-heat a non-stick skillet and sauté until shrimp turn pink.
Place inside a folded pita bread. Then top with mixed green salad and sauce. Serve immediately.
For more information about SOWELA’s culinary arts program, you can visit https://sowela.edu/academics/Culinary-Arts-120503.
Copyright 2019 KPLC. All rights reserved.