Post-Rita Assistance Runs Dry - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Post-Rita Assistance Runs Dry

Reported by: Amanda Ward

The money's run out, but the hope has not.

Pastor J.L. Franklin of Bethel Metropolitan Baptist Fellowship Church is thankful he's been able to help the people in his community through the Household Establishment Funds Program for Calcasieu and Cameron Parishes. The organization is made possible by grants from the LA Family Corps and the LA Health and Rehab Center.  Franklin says 75 percent of the money went to New Orleans and with the remaining 25 percent, they were able to help nearly three times the amount of people than originally thought.

Franklin says, "We were first told we'd only be able to help about 575 families, but we've served almost 1500." 

Applicants had to meet specific requirements:

1)  Residents must be from Calcasieu or Cameron Parish.
2)  Those over age 60 are automatically eligible.
3)  For those under age 60, requirements include having a job and a specific income.

Franklin says, "Those who need it, they say $1500 may not sound like a lot, but if you really need it, it was good for them. It came at a very needed time." Residents could get a voucher to be used for furniture, appliances, or rent and utlitities.

After Hurricane Rita, Emily Green, a mother of 6 children, had to leave her damaged home and move into a small apartment with one of her daughters.  She applied for assistance and she says the money restored her faith.

"Before, I couldn't afford to go out and buy me anything," says Green, "but, I was able to go and by my daughter a bed, a washer machine, and ice box. It was so very much helpful." 

Franklin now hopes he can help other people who applied and didn't get money. "We knew it would happen. It's inevitable. The dollar runs out. I just hope there'll be another way to help these people who need it," says Franklin.

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Southwest Louisiana Christmas activities

    Southwest Louisiana Christmas activities

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 11:40 AM EST2017-12-12 16:40:00 GMT
    (Source: pablo)(Source: pablo)

    The following is a list of the Christmas activities going on in the area

    More >>

    The following is a list of the Christmas activities going on in the area

    More >>
  • Red Cross offering SWLA free smoke alarms

    Red Cross offering SWLA free smoke alarms

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 5:29 AM EST2017-12-12 10:29:35 GMT
    (Source: Raycom)(Source: Raycom)
    During a house fire, every second counts so, in an effort to reduce the number of house fires across the area, the Red Cross is teaming up with local fire departments to install free smoke alarms. It’s all part of its national 'Home Fire Campaign' in an effort to make sure every resident across Southwest Louisiana has a working smoke alarm. Red Cross says its goal is to reduce death and injury from house fires by 25 percent by 2020. Because during a house fire, every second c...More >>
    During a house fire, every second counts so, in an effort to reduce the number of house fires across the area, the Red Cross is teaming up with local fire departments to install free smoke alarms. It’s all part of its national 'Home Fire Campaign' in an effort to make sure every resident across Southwest Louisiana has a working smoke alarm. Red Cross says its goal is to reduce death and injury from house fires by 25 percent by 2020. Because during a house fire, every second c...More >>
  • Support group for SWLA caregivers offers chance to learn and grow

    Support group for SWLA caregivers offers chance to learn and grow

    Monday, December 11 2017 11:59 PM EST2017-12-12 04:59:55 GMT
    Source: Christian PiekosSource: Christian Piekos

    It might be one of the most under appreciated jobs: caring for a loved one at the end of life.  Sherry Livingston's parents are 85 and 82. They're suffering from Alzheimer's and dementia. "It's a privilege to be able to walk with them in the last days of their journey," said Livingston. "But, it's taken a toll." Livingston said she spends hours every day caring for the basic necessities of her parents. "Seeing them go downhill, they're not the people ...

    More >>

    It might be one of the most under appreciated jobs: caring for a loved one at the end of life.  Sherry Livingston's parents are 85 and 82. They're suffering from Alzheimer's and dementia. "It's a privilege to be able to walk with them in the last days of their journey," said Livingston. "But, it's taken a toll." Livingston said she spends hours every day caring for the basic necessities of her parents. "Seeing them go downhill, they're not the people ...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly