May 25, 2007
Reported by Associated Press
Nine words could save lives this hurricane season: "Using a generator indoors can kill you in minutes."
That might seem obvious, but it's not - each year dozens of Americans die because they don't properly use portable electric generators.
So the federal government is now requiring that all new portable generators carry such a warning sticker.
Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless and colorless. Inhaling it causes headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, confusion and a quick death.
Nina Banister, spokeswoman for the State Fire Marshal's Office in Florida, says "the price of a generator is nothing compared to losing your life."
Generators can cost 400 dollars to three-thousand bucks or more.