2 gamers plead not guilty in Kansas 'swatting' death - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

2 gamers plead not guilty in Kansas 'swatting' death

By ROXANA HEGEMAN
Associated Press

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Two online gamers whose dispute over a $1.50 Call of Duty WWII video game bet allegedly led police to fatally shoot a Kansas man pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges in a "swatting" case that drew national attention.

Casey Viner, 18, of North College Hill, Ohio, and Shane Gaskill, 19, of Wichita, are charged with conspiracy to obstruct justice, wire fraud and other counts.

Viner allegedly became upset at Gaskill while playing the popular online game. Authorities say he then asked 25-year-old Tyler Barriss of Los Angeles to "swat" Gaskill at an address that Gaskill had previously provided him. Swatting is a form of retaliation sometimes used by gamers, who call police and make a false report to send first responders to an online opponent's address.

Barriss is accused of calling Wichita police from Los Angeles on Dec. 28 to report a shooting and kidnapping at a Wichita address. Authorities say Barris researched the address Viner had given him for Gaskill and verified it was a home. When Gaskill noticed Barriss was following him on Twitter, he began communicating with Barriss through direct messages in which he also gave him that same old address and dared him to swat him.

"Please try some s---. I'll be waiting," Gaskill wrote in the direct messages cited in the indictment.

A police officer responding to the call fatally shot the new resident Andrew Finch, 28, after he opened the door.

Defense attorneys for Viner and Barriss declined to comment, and the attorney for Gaskill did not immediately respond to an email.

Viner and Gaskill have not been arrested and both were instead issued a summons to appear at Wednesday's hearing. They remain free on a $10,000 bond each and were ordered to find a job and not to play online video games or have contact with witnesses.

Gaskill showed up in court dressed mostly in black down to his black tie and shirt and Viner wore a dark suit with a blue shirt and gray tie. They looked ashen as they sat with their attorneys and respectfully answered routine questions from the judge before quietly pleading not guilty, the only plea the magistrate told them he could accept at this point.

Their court demeanor was a far cry from the bravado of the communications a forensic examination of Viner's iPhone found after the news of the death in Wichita.

The indictment detailed an outgoing iMessage sent from Viner's phone in which Viner allegedly wrote: "I was involved in someone's death ... I got pissed off at him he got pissed at me .. he gave me his address and said pull up and I said I won't be the one pulling up you're getting swatted."

The two men will be living with their parents pending trial, and the judge also forbade them from keeping firearms in the household. He made an exception to the gun restriction for Viner's father, who is a law enforcement officer.

Barriss and Viner face federal charges of conspiracy to make false reports. Barriss also is charged with making false reports and hoaxes, cyberstalking, making interstate threats, making interstate threats to harm by fire and wire fraud. He was not in court Wednesday.

Prosecutors say the most serious charge of making a hoax call carries a potential life sentence because it resulted in a death, and some of the other charges carry sentences of up to 20 years.

A first court appearance on the federal charges has not been set for Barriss because the Sedgwick County district attorney is going forward first with his case on the state charges, said Jim Cross, spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Kansas.

In the state case, Barriss is charged with involuntary manslaughter, giving a false alarm and interference with a law enforcement officer. That arraignment is June 29.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • NationalMore>>

  • People donate millions to help separated families

    People donate millions to help separated families

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 7:42 PM EDT2018-06-20 23:42:20 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:56 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:56:42 GMT
    (Ken Blevins/The Star-News via AP). Amanda and Leighlou Reece hold up a protest sign as hundreds of Wilmington residents protest the Trump Administration's family separation policies during a Keep Families Together Rally outside of Rep. David Rouzer's ...(Ken Blevins/The Star-News via AP). Amanda and Leighlou Reece hold up a protest sign as hundreds of Wilmington residents protest the Trump Administration's family separation policies during a Keep Families Together Rally outside of Rep. David Rouzer's ...
    In an outpouring of concern prompted by images and audio of children crying for their parents, hundreds of thousands of people worldwide are donating to nonprofit organizations to help families separated at the...More >>
    In an outpouring of concern prompted by images and audio of children crying for their parents, hundreds of thousands of people worldwide are donating to nonprofit organizations to help families separated at the Mexico border.More >>
  • Sister led California police to shackled, starving siblings

    Sister led California police to shackled, starving siblings

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 2:41 AM EDT2018-06-20 06:41:05 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:56 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:56:35 GMT
    (Watchara Phomicinda/The Press-Enterprise via AP, Pool). FILE - In this May 4, 2018, file photo, defendant Louise Anna Turpin, second left, talks with an investigator as her husband David Allen Turpin, right, looks on during a court appearance in River...(Watchara Phomicinda/The Press-Enterprise via AP, Pool). FILE - In this May 4, 2018, file photo, defendant Louise Anna Turpin, second left, talks with an investigator as her husband David Allen Turpin, right, looks on during a court appearance in River...
    Prosecutors are expected to make their case against a Southern California couple accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children.More >>
    Prosecutors are expected to make their case against a Southern California couple accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children.More >>
  • Trump supporters steadfast despite the immigration uproar

    Trump supporters steadfast despite the immigration uproar

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:32 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:32:09 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:56 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:56:31 GMT
    (AP Photo/Susan Walsh). President Donald Trump speaks during a roundtable discussion on protecting American workers in Duluth, Minn., Wednesday, June 20, 2018.(AP Photo/Susan Walsh). President Donald Trump speaks during a roundtable discussion on protecting American workers in Duluth, Minn., Wednesday, June 20, 2018.
    Die-hard Trump supporters remained steadfast, even as heart-rending photos of children held in cages and audio of terrified children crying out for their parents stoked outrage among Democrats and Republicans alike.More >>
    Die-hard Trump supporters remained steadfast, even as heart-rending photos of children held in cages and audio of terrified children crying out for their parents stoked outrage among Democrats and Republicans alike.More >>
Powered by Frankly