LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - McNeese is gearing up this summer to host a litany of camps for kids and upcoming students of all ages. Some camps are athletic and some camps are educational.
Here is a list of summer camps to look forward to at McNeese:
McNeese Band Camps
- High School Camp: The MSU Summer High School Band Academies provides an intense and exciting four days of education and preparation for high school marching band, concert band, or jazz band in the fall. If you have an interest in being a drum major, playing instrumental music, or being on the color guard, then this camp is for you. The camp is staffed by clinicians, McNeese Faculty, and band directors. Activities include sports and recreation, swimming, and a movie night. The camp is Jun. 17- Jun. 21. The charge is $350 for residents and $225 for commuters and there are discounts for All-Sate students, groups, and rising McNeese students. Register HERE.
- Middle School Camp: Middle School students are able to get in on the fun with the McNeese band program as well. The MSU Summer Middle School Band Academy provides an intense and exciting four days of education and preparation for student musicians and their continued band participation in the fall. Activities include sports and recreation, swimming, and a movie night. The camp is Jun. 24 - Jun. 28. Residents pay $320 and commuters pay $220. Register HERE.
- Harp Camp: If you've ever wanted to learn how to play the harp, now's your chance. The McNeese harp camp is fun and educational for all levels of harp players, including those who have never touched a harp before. The camp is open to grades 2 and up and costs $45. It's from Jul. 23 - Jul. 27. Contact Barbara Belew at firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- SCA Cheer Camp: The Southwestern Cheerleaders Association specializes in the ultimate training experience for serious cheerleaders. They focus on one-of-a-kind camps to produce outstanding squads. The camp has two sessions; Jun. 1, 2,3 and Jun. 4, 5, 6. The cost is $285 for overnight athletes and $201 for instruction only athletes. Register HERE.
- UCA Cheer Camp: Universal Cheerleaders Association has a proven reputation of helping teams develop positive fan behavior standards and good sportsmanship practices for Game Day, as well as safe, crowd oriented material, all with an emphasis on leading your crowds in a direction worthy of your "Big Game." The dates are Jun. 7 - Jun. 10. Overnight athletes pay $315 and instruction only athletes pay $240. Register HERE.
- Kicker Kuties Dance Camp: The annual Kicker Kutie Summer Dance Camp offers instruction in various dance styles, tumbling, etiquette, modeling, and crafts. The class is taught by current and former Cowgirls. There will be a big performance on the final day and at a Mcneese football game. The camp is for grades K - 6 and costs $175. The dates are Jul. 16 - 20 from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Call to register: 337-540-6392.
- College of Engineering & Computer Science and College of Science and Agriculture: This camp has alligators, robots, agribusiness ventures and crime scene investigations for high school students. During the summer, students will participate in a crocodilian biochemistry internship program that offers high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to engage in research to investigate the unique immune system of the American alligator. The camp is from Jun. 16 - Aug. 3 and costs $1,850 per student. That fee includes campus housing, meals, lab supplies and transportation to off-campus sites. Contact Dr. Nikos at email@example.com to register.
- Summer Reading Clinic: This clinic is for grades 2-6 through the Department of Education Professions. The dates are Jun. 4 - Jun. 28, Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. - noon. The cost is $200. Call to register: 337-475-5423.
- 11th Annual Cowboy Camp: Cowboy camp is designed to give the incoming freshman class and transfer students the opportunity to learn about the traditions and history of McNeese before the fall semester begins. Students will get connected to McNeese, learn to become a leader and meet people in their incoming class that is motivated to be engaged on campus. Participants get to enjoy exclusive tours, competitions, and their residence before school the other students return. The dates are Aug. 17 - Aug. 18. The costs is $55 before Aug. 1, and $70 after. Call to register: 337-475-5609.
STEAM Camp: McNeese State University Leisure Learning is offering “A STEAM Adventure” summer program as part of its Kids College from May 28 - Aug. 10 for children entering grades 1-8. The 11-week program will offer activities, projects and field trips for students interested in engineering, nature, forensics, airplanes and rockets, physical science, chemistry and so much more. The program is offered from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday with early drop off/late pick up available. Registration is $85 with a 20 percent discount if participants register before April 30. Cost is $189 per week. There is a discounted price for each additional child, as well as discounts for multi-week enrollment. For more information, visit www.mcneese.edu/leisure.
The Governor's Program for Gifted Children: This program has been at McNeese since 1959. It focuses on the intellectual, creative, and social needs of gifted children. The dates are Jun. 3 - Jul. 21. Contact the school for more information at 337-475-5447.
- Women’s Basketball Camp (High School): Basketball Camp takes athletes back to the basics of station work, competition, and games that provide the total basketball experience for all levels. Team Camp is open to grades 9 - 12. The camp is from May 31 - Jun. 2 and costs $160 for one day, $275 for two days, or $420 for three days. Register by contacting Kacie Cryer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 337-475-5476.
- Women's Basketball Camp (Fundamental): This camp will be facilitated by certified officials to teach your kids the skills to succeed. Fundamental Camp is for grades K - 8 and costs $105. The dates are Jun. 11 - 13 from 9:00 a.m. - noon. Register by contacting Kacie Cryer at email@example.com or call 337-475-5476.
- Cowboy Baseball Camp: Baseball camp offers an opportunity for players to receive valuable instruction on the fundamental skills of baseball. Organized games between campers will provide a competitive outlet after specific drills have been practiced. Contests built into drills capture the learner’s attention, which results in attentive practice. The camp is open to grades 1 - 6 and costs $200. The dates are Jun. 11 - Jun. 14 from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Register online HERE.
- Pitching and Catching Clinics Softball Camps: Softball camp allows athletes the opportunity to receive instruction from McNeese coaches, learn techniques based on the McNeese Softball program philosophy, and to provide the opportunity to participate with other athletes who have your same goals. The camp is open to grades 7 - 12 and costs $75. The dates are Jun. 18 and Jul. 16 from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Register online HERE.
- Softball Elite Showcase Camps: This camp includes individualized instruction from the coaching staff as well as current players and will be given help with focus on hitting, fielding, pitching, catching, and running. The showcase will also include skill and game evaluation to simulate game situations. The camp is open to grades 7-12 and costs $225. The first session is Jun. 18 - Jun. 20 and the second session is Jul. 16 - Jul. 18 from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Register online HERE.
- Cowgirl Soccer Kids Camp: Soccer camp is open to boys and girls with the drive and competitive spirit to improve their ability and level of play. Camp instructors are composed of McNeese coaching staff, players, and other college and university coaches and players. The camp is open to grades K - 8. The dates are Jun. 11 - Jun. 14 and it's divided into two times: 9:00 a.m. - noon for age 6 to grade 5 (half day) and 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. for grades 6 - 8 (full day). The camp costs $150 for a half day and $230 for a full day. Register HERE.
- Cowgirl Soccer ID Camp: This camp is intended for serious female soccer players who plan to play soccer in college. Players will be taken through sessions used by the Cowgirl Soccer team in training every day. It is a rigorous curriculum designed to challenge future collegiate athletes. Soccer camp is open to grades 9 - 12 and costs $195 for residents and $170 for commuters. The dates are Jun. 16 - Jun. 17. Register HERE.
- Calcasieu Soccer Club Competitive Camp: Join a camp where the instructors are composed of McNeese coaching staff, players, and other college and university coaches and players. This camp is open to boys and girls age 10 - 18 and costs $150. The dates are Jun. 16 - Jun. 19 from 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Register HERE.
- Cowboy Up Football Camp: This camp is taught by some of the top coaching talents in the region. Players in grades 8 - 11 can go and it costs $290 for residents and $155 for commuters. The dates are Jul. 8 - Jul. 10. Register by contacting Nancy Borel at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 337-475-5235.
- Rowdy Football Camp: Younger athletes are encouraged to join Rowdy camp to enhance their skills. This camp is for athletes in grades 2 - 8 and it costs $100. The dates are Jul. 11 - Jul. 13 from 8:00 a.m. to noon. Register by contacting Nancy Borel at email@example.com or call 337-475-5235.
- Ashleigh Fitzgerald Volleyball Camps: Campers will learn volleyball skills through a lot of gameplay and competitions. The dates are Jun. 11 - Jun. 14 from 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Grades 6 - 8 can participate. Register HERE.