THE INVESTIGATORS: New insight from parents of 5-year-old girl a - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

THE INVESTIGATORS: New insight from parents of 5-year-old girl allegedly abused by WBR teacher

Melissa Blank (Source: West Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office) Melissa Blank (Source: West Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office)
BRUSLY, LA (WAFB) -

Melissa Blank is accused of grabbing a 5-year-old student by her neck during class at Brusly Elementary School on February 7.

Now, the girl's parents have given some insight into what happened. They're not ready to speak on camera just yet, but they did speak over the phone. The parents say their daughter has ADHD and they admit at times, she can get out of hand, but they say that does not justify a teacher grabbing her by the neck.

The complaint was documented because there happened to be a teacher's aide in that specific classroom at the time. Otherwise, the parents of the little girl say school officials did not inform them about what happened. Instead, they found out from the Brusly Police Department, where the complaint was filed.

The complaint documented the child swatted all of the clips off of a behavior chart. The report goes on to say, "Mrs. Blank grabbed [the child]  by the neck and pushed her against the closet doors. Mrs. Blank had her other hand on upper arm, squeezing it at the same time, yelling at her, 'You aren't going to touch my things, you aren't going to act like this!'"

When the aide offered to take the child out of the classroom, the document said, "Mrs. Blank told me, 'No, she needs to learn. She can't act like this and she's not going to touch my things!'"

Blank was arrested by the Brusly Police Department and charged with cruelty to a juvenile, false imprisonment, and simple battery.

RELATED: Teacher accused of shoving student faces charges

Since then, we've learned Blank was moved from Brusly Elementary School to another school in the district, Lukeville Elementary, also as a teacher. We reached out to West Baton Rouge Schools Superintendent Wes Watts, who says they've wrapped up their internal investigation, but would not release the results of that investigation or why Blank was simply moved to another school. He says it was a "personnel matter" and they could not comment.

Watts did release a statement, saying, "We would not put any teacher in a class with students that we did not have confidence in."

We have since learned the parents of the little girl say they have had previous issues with Blank and asked the school's principal to get their daughter into a different classroom, but they say that never happened. 

Since then, the parents of another student say they too filed a complaint with the Brusly Elementary School principal against Blank.

Meanwhile, the Brusly police chief says they did interview the little girl and she corroborated everything the aide said in her written complaint. Blank's lawyer did not return a call for comment.

Since the incident, the little girl has been moved into a different classroom and her parents say they have seen a drastic improvement.

Copyright 2018 WAFB. All rights reserved.





 

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Teen killer eligible for parole after 25 years for murder of Robert Colston

    Teen killer eligible for parole after 25 years for murder of Robert Colston

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:51 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:51:49 GMT
    Stacy Johnson Jr. (Source: Calcasieu Correctional Center)Stacy Johnson Jr. (Source: Calcasieu Correctional Center)

    Seventy nine year old Robert Colston was gunned down on June 5, 2016.  Stacy Johnson was convicted of first degree murder which would mean life in prison without parole for an adult.  But because Johnson was only sixteen at the time, life without parole was not automatic.  A hearing was required. Prosecutor Jacob Johnson, who is an assistant district attorney in Calcasieu Parish, says the state did want Johnson to get life without parole... "We filed a notic...

    More >>

    Seventy nine year old Robert Colston was gunned down on June 5, 2016.  Stacy Johnson was convicted of first degree murder which would mean life in prison without parole for an adult.  But because Johnson was only sixteen at the time, life without parole was not automatic.  A hearing was required. Prosecutor Jacob Johnson, who is an assistant district attorney in Calcasieu Parish, says the state did want Johnson to get life without parole... "We filed a notic...

    More >>
  • Former Cameron Company Office Manager pleads guilty to stealing thousands of dollars

    Former Cameron Company Office Manager pleads guilty to stealing thousands of dollars

    Former Cameron Company Office Manager pleads guilty to stealing thousands of dollars

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:36 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:36:09 GMT
    Image courtesy of: US DOJ Western District of LouisianaImage courtesy of: US DOJ Western District of Louisiana
    Image courtesy of: US DOJ Western District of LouisianaImage courtesy of: US DOJ Western District of Louisiana

    Former cameron company office manager pleads guilty to stealing more than $91,000 LAKE CHARLES, La. – United States Attorney David C. Joseph announced that a former office manager of a Cameron company pleaded guilty last week to stealing more than $91,000 from her employer. Belinda Miltenberger, 47, of Cameron, Louisiana, pleaded guilty June 13, 2018 before U.S. Magistrate Judge Kathleen Kay to one count of wire fraud. According to the guilty plea’s factual basis, ...

    More >>

    Former cameron company office manager pleads guilty to stealing more than $91,000 LAKE CHARLES, La. – United States Attorney David C. Joseph announced that a former office manager of a Cameron company pleaded guilty last week to stealing more than $91,000 from her employer. Belinda Miltenberger, 47, of Cameron, Louisiana, pleaded guilty June 13, 2018 before U.S. Magistrate Judge Kathleen Kay to one count of wire fraud. According to the guilty plea’s factual basis, ...

    More >>
  • BREAKING

    One suspect still at large in connection with Guy Street shooting

    One suspect still at large in connection with Guy Street shooting

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:32 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:32:50 GMT
    (Source: Department of Transportation)(Source: Department of Transportation)

    The Lake Charles Police Department is looking for a suspect in connection to a shooting on June 8, according to Lt. Kevin Kirkum.  Domenique Nelson Bryant, 21, Lake Charles, is believed to be connected to a shooting in the 2700 block of Guy Street on June 8.  Bryant is wanted on the charges of attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery, and armed robbery with a firearm, according to Kirkum. Bryant is currently at large and considered to be armed and dangerous,...

    More >>

    The Lake Charles Police Department is looking for a suspect in connection to a shooting on June 8, according to Lt. Kevin Kirkum.  Domenique Nelson Bryant, 21, Lake Charles, is believed to be connected to a shooting in the 2700 block of Guy Street on June 8.  Bryant is wanted on the charges of attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery, and armed robbery with a firearm, according to Kirkum. Bryant is currently at large and considered to be armed and dangerous,...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly