Students at Midway High planning a walk-out in honor of the Park - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Students at Midway High planning a walk-out in honor of the Parkland victims

(Source: Raycom Media) (Source: Raycom Media)
WACO, TX (KXXV) -

Some students at Midway High School are organizing a student walk-out in honor of the 17 people killed at the school in Parkland, FL last month, according to M'Lynn Philips, a senior at Midway High School. 

The walk-out is set to happen on March 14 at 10 a.m.

Students at Midway are saying they will be joining in the national 17-minute walk out. 

“It is worth getting into trouble so that we can be in a safe environment to get our education,” said 16-year-old Casie Pollard, a Midway sophomore and walk-out organizer.

The national protest is being started by the Women's March. The organizations are encouraging students, teachers and their allies to walk out of schools on March 14 to protest gun violence.

When Central Texas News Now contacted Midway ISD about the walk-out, spokeswoman Traci Marlin said the district planned a meaningful way to spend time with students to discuss their feelings and ideas for school safety. The district currently on spring break is expected to release more details about the activities it planned on Monday.

The event is one of two marches planned at the national level this month to advocate for gun control. Midway ISD students have joined a group of concerned citizens to be part of this movement. The group of concerned citizens is requesting a ban on AR-15 style rifles and bump stocks. In addition, it is asking the government to close loopholes on the purchase of the AR-15 style rifles. 

Vicki Kabat who is part of the group of concerned citizens said she is supportive of the second amendment but not the ownership of these types of guns.

"These weapons that really are designed for doing nothing more than killing as many people as possible.There's no reason for citizens to have access this kind of weapon," Kabat said.

However, Founder and President of Open Carry Texas CJ Grisham who has used that rifle for hunting said banning the most popular rifle in the U.S. changes the second amendment.

"It changes the rights of the people to keep and bear arms. It changes things for the worse and it completely erodes our civil rights. I find it ironic that this group is using their first amendment right to infringe on my second amendment right," Grisham said.

Kabat said the intention with the proposals is to keep children safe, a goal that she said the Midway ISD students part of their group 

"Show us that you value our lives more than you do the right to own these assault weapons.Show us that you value our lives, that you want to protect us. That's what these students said," Kabat stated.

Grisham said he also cares about school safety but he said banning guns is not the answer.

"They want to use this emotional issue, which is what it is to blame a firearm and not an individual," Grisham said. "I do value our lives, that's why I don't want to ban these weapons," Grisham said.

Kabat said the group understand there are underlying issues that may cause someone to carry out a shooting at a school, such as mental illness.

"We focused on this, because to us, is the most obvious to us: common sense gun laws," Kabat said. "Our schools should be safe places and learn without fear of a gunman coming in and killing them."

Central Texas News Now reached out to U.S. Representative Bill Flores (TX-17) about the actions the group is asking from legislators.

He responded with the following statement:

“The common denominator in many mass shootings is the existence of an underlying mental illness. To reduce gun violence in our nation we must confront the realities of severe mental illness and the connection to violence. As we explore better ways of identifying persons with mental health challenges, it is important that we continue to protect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens, while at the same time working to improve public safety. Last year, the House passed a bill to improve public safety by strengthening the reporting requirements of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System; it is time the Senate act to pass this important legislation.  I also support President Trump’s recent actions to overturn the Obama Administration’s ill-advised actions which exempted ‘Bump-Stocks’ from licensure," Congressman Bill Flores said.

There is a rally planned for March 24 at Heritage Square in downtown Waco. Students who survived the shooting in Florida are planning to march in Washington D.C. on the same date in an event called March for Our lives.

"What we do here ourselves may not accomplish anything but if you add our voice to our voice to the country so really I'm hopeful that legislators will say wait a minute," Kabat said.

Organizers encourage other communities to conduct a march on the same day.

Copyright 2018 KXXV. All rights reserved.

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Teen killer eligible for parole after 25 years for murder of Robert Colston

    Teen killer eligible for parole after 25 years for murder of Robert Colston

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:51 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:51:49 GMT
    Stacy Johnson Jr. (Source: Calcasieu Correctional Center)Stacy Johnson Jr. (Source: Calcasieu Correctional Center)

    Seventy nine year old Robert Colston was gunned down on June 5, 2016.  Stacy Johnson was convicted of first degree murder which would mean life in prison without parole for an adult.  But because Johnson was only sixteen at the time, life without parole was not automatic.  A hearing was required. Prosecutor Jacob Johnson, who is an assistant district attorney in Calcasieu Parish, says the state did want Johnson to get life without parole... "We filed a notic...

    More >>

    Seventy nine year old Robert Colston was gunned down on June 5, 2016.  Stacy Johnson was convicted of first degree murder which would mean life in prison without parole for an adult.  But because Johnson was only sixteen at the time, life without parole was not automatic.  A hearing was required. Prosecutor Jacob Johnson, who is an assistant district attorney in Calcasieu Parish, says the state did want Johnson to get life without parole... "We filed a notic...

    More >>
  • Former Cameron Company Office Manager pleads guilty to stealing thousands of dollars

    Former Cameron Company Office Manager pleads guilty to stealing thousands of dollars

    Former Cameron Company Office Manager pleads guilty to stealing thousands of dollars

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:36 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:36:09 GMT
    Image courtesy of: US DOJ Western District of LouisianaImage courtesy of: US DOJ Western District of Louisiana
    Image courtesy of: US DOJ Western District of LouisianaImage courtesy of: US DOJ Western District of Louisiana

    Former cameron company office manager pleads guilty to stealing more than $91,000 LAKE CHARLES, La. – United States Attorney David C. Joseph announced that a former office manager of a Cameron company pleaded guilty last week to stealing more than $91,000 from her employer. Belinda Miltenberger, 47, of Cameron, Louisiana, pleaded guilty June 13, 2018 before U.S. Magistrate Judge Kathleen Kay to one count of wire fraud. According to the guilty plea’s factual basis, ...

    More >>

    Former cameron company office manager pleads guilty to stealing more than $91,000 LAKE CHARLES, La. – United States Attorney David C. Joseph announced that a former office manager of a Cameron company pleaded guilty last week to stealing more than $91,000 from her employer. Belinda Miltenberger, 47, of Cameron, Louisiana, pleaded guilty June 13, 2018 before U.S. Magistrate Judge Kathleen Kay to one count of wire fraud. According to the guilty plea’s factual basis, ...

    More >>
  • BREAKING

    One suspect still at large in connection with Guy Street shooting

    One suspect still at large in connection with Guy Street shooting

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:32 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:32:50 GMT
    (Source: Department of Transportation)(Source: Department of Transportation)

    The Lake Charles Police Department is looking for a suspect in connection to a shooting on June 8, according to Lt. Kevin Kirkum.  Domenique Nelson Bryant, 21, Lake Charles, is believed to be connected to a shooting in the 2700 block of Guy Street on June 8.  Bryant is wanted on the charges of attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery, and armed robbery with a firearm, according to Kirkum. Bryant is currently at large and considered to be armed and dangerous,...

    More >>

    The Lake Charles Police Department is looking for a suspect in connection to a shooting on June 8, according to Lt. Kevin Kirkum.  Domenique Nelson Bryant, 21, Lake Charles, is believed to be connected to a shooting in the 2700 block of Guy Street on June 8.  Bryant is wanted on the charges of attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery, and armed robbery with a firearm, according to Kirkum. Bryant is currently at large and considered to be armed and dangerous,...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly