(KPLC) - Many will do much of their Christmas shopping online this year.
But having packages delivered while you're not home has some risks. Here are some tips to protect yourself.
- Security cameras - Security cameras are becoming more and more common. KPLC often has viewers send in photos or videos of thefts they've captured on their security cameras.
- Have packages delivered to your workplace - Some businesses will allow this. Check with your employer before doing this.
- Have packages delivered to friend or family member who will be home during day.
- Require signature on delivery.
- Track packages - Most delivery services allow you to track where the package is and when it's being delivered. Some will also send alerts when the package is delivered.
- Ship to store - If you're ordering from a site that has a local retailer, this is often an option. Sometimes, shipping is less, too.
- Get insurance on your delivery - This may cost a little extra, but it may give some piece of mind.
- Give instructions where around the house to deliver the package (back porch, etc.).