UK Scrabble group bans star player for breaking tile rule - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

UK Scrabble group bans star player for breaking tile rule

By DANICA KIRKA
Associated Press

LONDON (AP) - The Association of British Scrabble players banned one of its star players for three years after an independent investigation concluded that he had broken rules in the popular word game.

Allan Simmons has authored books on Scrabble and contributed game coverage to The Times newspaper, which first reported his ban from competition. The London-based newspaper says it will no longer use him as a contributor.

A committee member for the association, Elie Dangoor, said Monday that three independent witnesses saw Simmons put a hand with freshly drawn letter tiles back into a bag to draw more tiles - contrary to the rules.

"The natural conclusion had been that he had been cheating," Dangoor told The Associated Press.

There were four instances dating back to 2016, and the committee conducted an independent probe which was concluded a few weeks ago. The matter came to larger public attention only recently, and was discussed during the World English Language Scrabble Players Association event that ended Sunday.

Simmons told the Times he denied cheating, and that he had suffered the same "untimely bad luck from the bag as anyone else."

"You have to remember that at the top level, games can be quite intense and there's a lot going through one's mind let alone remembering to religiously ensure tile drawing rules are followed meticulously," Simmons was quoted by the Times as saying. "From the outset I have said that no one is beyond suspicion and complied fully with the investigative process."

Dangoor said that Simmons had been "a huge part of the game's development" and that there was "great disappointment," as he is a liked and respected part of the Scrabble community. But action had to be taken.

"There's no one person bigger than the game," Dangoor said.

Efforts to reach Simmons were unsuccessful. The Times quoted him as saying he planned to concentrate on "more important things in life."

___

Gregory Katz contributed to this report.

___

A previous version of this story has been corrected to show that the independent investigation was concluded a few weeks ago, not in June.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • NationalMore>>

  • Report shows Takata recall still moving slowly

    Report shows Takata recall still moving slowly

    Friday, November 17 2017 3:29 PM EST2017-11-17 20:29:08 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 10:50 AM EST2017-11-19 15:50:11 GMT
    A new report issued Friday says auto companies have replaced only 57 percent of potentially deadly Takata air bag inflators, even though recalls have been under way for more than 15 years.More >>
    A new report issued Friday says auto companies have replaced only 57 percent of potentially deadly Takata air bag inflators, even though recalls have been under way for more than 15 years.More >>
  • AMAs reflect year in pop music, where male acts dominated

    AMAs reflect year in pop music, where male acts dominated

    Sunday, November 19 2017 3:00 AM EST2017-11-19 08:00:02 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 10:40 AM EST2017-11-19 15:40:23 GMT
    The performers at the 2017 American Music Awards are evenly split between men and women, but the nominees, not so much.More >>
    The performers at the 2017 American Music Awards are evenly split between men and women, but the nominees, not so much.More >>
  • Ohio candidate doesn't regret sexual conquest Facebook post

    Ohio candidate doesn't regret sexual conquest Facebook post

    Saturday, November 18 2017 12:29 PM EST2017-11-18 17:29:40 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 10:32 AM EST2017-11-19 15:32:28 GMT

    An Ohio Supreme Court justice and Democratic gubernatorial candidate says he deleted a Facebook post outlining his sexual history after being criticized in part for potentially identifying some of the women.

    More >>

    An Ohio Supreme Court justice and Democratic gubernatorial candidate says he deleted a Facebook post outlining his sexual history after being criticized in part for potentially identifying some of the women.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly