Sabine Rising: Evans - one year later - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Sabine Rising: Evans - one year later

(Source: KPLC) (Source: KPLC)
VERNON PARISH, LA (KPLC) -

This month marks one year since the Sabine River flooding took place - leaving many families along the Sabine River homeless.

In the small town of Evans, you have to slow down or else, you might miss it. 

But if you take a turn down Bonner Road, you'll come across Kimy Jeane's home  - well, what used to be her home.

"That used to be our living room," she said. "It's just no words because you still wake up and you're like, that really happened. We really lost our home."

KPLC first introduced you to Jeane last March when she was gutting her house and salvaging her possessions after the flood.

The flood took away her home, her clothes, and her daughter's toys, but it couldn't take away her spirit.

"There's something better that's going to come from this - and there already has been better. I mean, we've made friendships with people that I would have never met without this circumstances and it's God - it's God's plan; it's not our plan," she said.

For the past year, Jeane has been living in temporary homes.

From her niece's house, to her parents' camper,  to currently, staying in her sister-in-law's mobile home.

"You see it everywhere else on the news; you see it in other parts of the world, in other parts of the country and never in a million years, did I think that this would happen to us, to our little town," Jeane said.

Jeane said what happened sometimes suddenly pops into her mind during the course of the day.

"I do. Then I think to myself why? And then there's days that's all I can think about," she said.

"I am kind of torn because I am grateful that we have a place to stay now and live now, but in turn, this was our home," Jeane said. "I would love to go back to that day before and change things, but you can't, you can't change things."

For Jeane, the hardest part is knowing her family home is gone.

"I'm heart broke for me, I'm heart broke for my kids, for my community, for my husband, for my parents; my mom, who this was her home. So heartbreak fits in every category," she said.

They do not plan to move back into the home but Jeane said she will always have her memories.

"Even a year later, it's unreal," Jeane said. But, still, she said she's at peace.

"I am because God has a bigger and better plan for us," she said.

Copyright 2017 KPLC. All rights reserved.

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Shell Beach Drive restaurant applicant revokes appeal to LC city council

    Shell Beach Drive restaurant applicant revokes appeal to LC city council

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:15 PM EDT2018-06-21 03:15:24 GMT
    (Source: Maranda Whittington/KPLC)(Source: Maranda Whittington/KPLC)
    (Source: Maranda Whittington/KPLC)(Source: Maranda Whittington/KPLC)

    The topic of a restaurant coming to Shell Beach Drive is officially over.  Last month applicant Mazen Hijazi brought the idea up to the Lake Charles planning and zoning board.  Hijazi wanted to transform a mansion on the street into a restaurant that would seat 150 people and create an event center for banquets and weddings.  Homeowners who lived along the street argued the restaurant would bring more traffic, safety concerns, and would create spot zoning. ...

    More >>

    The topic of a restaurant coming to Shell Beach Drive is officially over.  Last month applicant Mazen Hijazi brought the idea up to the Lake Charles planning and zoning board.  Hijazi wanted to transform a mansion on the street into a restaurant that would seat 150 people and create an event center for banquets and weddings.  Homeowners who lived along the street argued the restaurant would bring more traffic, safety concerns, and would create spot zoning. ...

    More >>
  • LC city council approves new economic development districts

    LC city council approves new economic development districts

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:10 PM EDT2018-06-21 03:10:18 GMT
    (Source: Maranda Whittington/KPLC)(Source: Maranda Whittington/KPLC)
    (Source: Maranda Whittington/KPLC)(Source: Maranda Whittington/KPLC)

    If you're driving on the I-10 bridge and look down, there's really not much to see besides the beach area and an abandoned casino parking garage.  But city leaders want to change that with new economic incentives that could help develop parts of the city.  "Coming that way I don't think anything would get me to stop," said resident Pat Broussard. "I don't see anything right there that would make me stop."   Broussard isn't the only person who...

    More >>

    If you're driving on the I-10 bridge and look down, there's really not much to see besides the beach area and an abandoned casino parking garage.  But city leaders want to change that with new economic incentives that could help develop parts of the city.  "Coming that way I don't think anything would get me to stop," said resident Pat Broussard. "I don't see anything right there that would make me stop."   Broussard isn't the only person who...

    More >>
  • Teen killer eligible for parole after 25 years for murder of Robert Colston

    Teen killer eligible for parole after 25 years for murder of Robert Colston

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 8:51 PM EDT2018-06-21 00:51:49 GMT
    Stacy Johnson Jr. (Source: Calcasieu Correctional Center)Stacy Johnson Jr. (Source: Calcasieu Correctional Center)

    Seventy nine year old Robert Colston was gunned down on June 5, 2016.  Stacy Johnson was convicted of first degree murder which would mean life in prison without parole for an adult.  But because Johnson was only sixteen at the time, life without parole was not automatic.  A hearing was required. Prosecutor Jacob Johnson, who is an assistant district attorney in Calcasieu Parish, says the state did want Johnson to get life without parole... "We filed a notic...

    More >>

    Seventy nine year old Robert Colston was gunned down on June 5, 2016.  Stacy Johnson was convicted of first degree murder which would mean life in prison without parole for an adult.  But because Johnson was only sixteen at the time, life without parole was not automatic.  A hearing was required. Prosecutor Jacob Johnson, who is an assistant district attorney in Calcasieu Parish, says the state did want Johnson to get life without parole... "We filed a notic...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly