SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA (KPLC) - Our friend, Cookie Hauser shares her recipe for Italian veggie beef soup.
- 1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 package (16 oz.) frozen mixed veggies
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 oz. each) reduced-sodium beef broth
In a 6-quart stock pot, cook ground beef and onions over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add cabbage, mixed veggies, tomatoes, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender. Remove bay leaf.
The recipe only takes 30 minutes to make and serves 12.
Mobile users, click HERE.