o 2 cups sushi rice
o 2 cups water
o 4 tablespoons rice vinegar (or flavored; Mango)
o 3 tablespoons sugar
o 2 teaspoons salt
o 2 tablespoons mirin sub (1 tbsp. dry sherry+ ½ tsp sugar)
o kelp, leaf (optional)
1. Ignore the directions on the bag that the rice came from and rinse the rice only 3-5 times. The water does NOT have to run clear.
2. Place rice to drain in a strainer.
3. Drain for one hour in the winter, 30 min in the summer.
4. While rice is draining, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and mirin together in a bowl and mix well.
5. If using a kelp leaf, it should be about 2 in long
6. Wipe it lightly, cut small slits to make it look like a comb and add it to a pot along with the water.
7. Add rice to the pot.
8. Bring quickly to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
9. Cover the pot and DON'T touch it until the end.
10. Cook for 15 minutes before removing the pot from the heat but keep the lid CLOSED.
11. Let rice rest for 10 min and then remove the cover.
12. Place in a glass dish to cool and lightly fan the rice while adding the vinegar mixture.
13. Mix rice gently, careful not to break it.
Julienne (1/2in) you're favorite ingredients and you are ready to make rolls.