Another day of pads at Saints training camp, another victory for the defense. The only difference is, on Sunday, they won the practice.
Monday, they dominated.
The secondary, in particular, shined throughout the day. Veteran Keenan Lewis looks every bit as solid as he was a year ago. Lewis had two pass break-ups on consecutive plays. On the first one, Lewis was locked up with Andy Tanner and found the ball to swat it away. On the second, Lewis was in a zone coverage and undercut a corner route by Joe Morgan to tip the ball away.
Earlier in the practice, Kenny Vaccaro had a physical pass break-up where he simultaneously collided and knocked the ball away from Marques Colston.
Patrick Robinson, who's competing to be the starting cornerback opposite Lewis, would have had the play of the day when he read the play beautifully, jumped the out route and would have taken it to the house for six…. if only he caught the ball.
Play of the Day
Every year there is one undrafted player that comes from out of nowhere to be noticed. Safety Pierre Warren out of Jacksonville St. may become that guy in 2014. Warren made yet another play today when Brandon Coleman dropped a pass and Warren was there to pick it off on the deflection.
Add one more name to the ‘did not participate' list. Guard Ben Grubbs missed practice Monday. Coach Payton said that both Grubbs and Robert Meachem should be back in a day or two.
Also out: John Jenkins (PUP), Jairus Byrd (PUP),Tavon Rooks (Non football injury list), Kenny Stills (quad) and Meachem.
- I counted eight ‘F-bombs' in one drill from Rob Ryan. Safe to say the intensity and the profanity is heating up here at the Greenbrier.
- While it is good to see the defense win some battles over the offense, I know this off season they've placed an emphasis on takeaways. Monday, they had three opportunities for interceptions and only came away with one.
- Tim Lelito and Jonathan Goodwin split team reps with the first team at center. I had a chance to watch the offensive line extensively during the 9-on7 drills and Lelito had mixed results. On one play, Tyrunn Walker blew up Lelito to stuff a running back in the backfield. However, later in the drill Lelito made a crushing block on Broderick Bunkley that allowed Khiry Robinson to cut up the middle for a nice gain.
- Drew Brees had his worst sequence of camp on Monday. Three straight plays during one of team drills resulted in: a pass batted down at the line by Bunkley, a bad underthrow of Joe Morgan on a deep ball and the nearly intercepted pass by Robinson described above.
- A little surprise awaited the players during practice today. In the middle of stretch and the last team drills, music blasted through the speaker system. Coach Payton said he did it to get the players to stay focused on their assignments in the midst of distractions.
- Rookie Vinnie Sunseri has been getting a lot of reps with the second team at safety. He made two nice plays at practice when he stuffed Robinson on a run play, then tackled tight end Ben Watson for a short gain.
- I had to wear a jacket today for practice. That's the first time in my life I've ever had to wear a jacket in the month of July.
Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.