West Nile death reported in Caddo - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

West Nile death reported in Louisiana

SHREVEPORT, La. (AP) - Louisiana health officials say a Shreveport man has died from the West Nile virus.

The individual who died was between 60 and 74 years old. Martha Whyte, public health chief in northwest Louisiana, tells the Times (http://bit.ly/1rF9OPz ) she cannot provide other information, citing confidentiality rules.

The death is the first in Louisiana this year from the mosquito-borne virus. It is among four total cases in Caddo Parish in the past week. State health officials also recorded two cases of neuroinvasive West Nile disease and one case of the less serious West Nile fever. One of the more serious cases also involves a Shreveport resident.

State health officials recorded 34 cases of the more severe neuroinvasive disease in 2013, down from a high of 204 in 2002.

Information from: The Times, http://www.shreveporttimes.com

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • NationalMore>>

  • More LGBT issues loom as justices near wedding cake decision

    More LGBT issues loom as justices near wedding cake decision

    Saturday, May 26 2018 9:33 AM EDT2018-05-26 13:33:35 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 7:44 AM EDT2018-05-27 11:44:07 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2017, file photo, the Supreme Court in Washington is seen at sunset. A flood of lawsuits over LGBT rights is making its way through the courts and will continue, no matter the outcome in the...(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2017, file photo, the Supreme Court in Washington is seen at sunset. A flood of lawsuits over LGBT rights is making its way through the courts and will continue, no matter the outcome in the...

    A flood of lawsuits over LGBT rights is making its way through courts and that'll continue, no matter what the Supreme Court decides in the case of a baker who wouldn't create a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

    More >>

    A flood of lawsuits over LGBT rights is making its way through courts and that'll continue, no matter what the Supreme Court decides in the case of a baker who wouldn't create a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

    More >>
  • Gut check: Swallowed capsule could spot trouble, send alert

    Gut check: Swallowed capsule could spot trouble, send alert

    Thursday, May 24 2018 3:12 PM EDT2018-05-24 19:12:24 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 7:04 AM EDT2018-05-27 11:04:23 GMT
    (Lillie Paquette/MIT School of Engineering via AP). This undated photo provided by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology School of Engineering in May 2018 shows a capsule packed with electronics and genetically engineered living cells in Cambridge,...(Lillie Paquette/MIT School of Engineering via AP). This undated photo provided by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology School of Engineering in May 2018 shows a capsule packed with electronics and genetically engineered living cells in Cambridge,...
    Scientists develop a swallowed capsule that might someday be used to spot health problems from inside the gut.More >>
    Scientists develop a swallowed capsule that might someday be used to spot health problems from inside the gut.More >>
  • Idaho town told not to drink water amid contamination scare

    Idaho town told not to drink water amid contamination scare

    Friday, May 25 2018 3:16 PM EDT2018-05-25 19:16:38 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 7:04 AM EDT2018-05-27 11:04:17 GMT
    (AP Photo/Kimberlee Kruesi, File). FILE - In this Thursday, May 26, 2016, file photo, a sign welcomes residents and visitors to the tiny town in Dietrich, Idaho. Residents of tge Idaho town have been told not to drink the water after a fired municipal ...(AP Photo/Kimberlee Kruesi, File). FILE - In this Thursday, May 26, 2016, file photo, a sign welcomes residents and visitors to the tiny town in Dietrich, Idaho. Residents of tge Idaho town have been told not to drink the water after a fired municipal ...
    Officials say residents of an Idaho town have been told not to drink its well water amid concerns that a fired municipal worker found dead in his home may have contaminated it.More >>
    Officials say residents of an Idaho town have been told not to drink its well water amid concerns that a fired municipal worker found dead in his home may have contaminated it.More >>
Powered by Frankly