- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, in all
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup canned green Rotel, drained
- 3/4 cup finely chopped bell peppers
- 2 3/4 teaspoon salt, in all
- 2 3/4 teaspoon white pepper, in all
- 1 cup chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, in all
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, in all
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups grated Monterey jack cheese, in all
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, in all
- 2 pounds peeled crawfish tail meat
- 2/3 cup very finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 20 (6-inch) corn tortillas (flour tortillas may be used if you prefer)
In a large thick bottom pan melt ¼ pound (1 stick) of the butter.
Add the onions, rotel, bell pepper, 1 ¼ teaspoon of the salt, ¾ teaspoon of the white pepper, ½ teaspoon of the cayenne pepper, Chili powder, ¼ teaspoon of the oregano and the garlic. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in flour until blended and add heavy cream and bring mixture to a rapid boil; then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 3 cups of the cheese and stir until melted. Set the sauce aside.
In a 4 quart sauce pan melt the remaining ¼ pound (1 stick) of the butter. Add the crawfish, green onions and the remaining 1 ½ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons white pepper, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper and ½ teaspoon oregano. Sauté over medium heat for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cheese sauce to the crawfish mixture and stir well. Simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
In a small skillet heat the oil to about 325 F. Holding the corn tortillas one at a time with metal tongs, dip each into the hot oil just long enough to soften, about 1 second on each side; drain on paper towels. (If Flour tortillas are used this step is eliminated). Spoon about 1/3 cup crawfish sauce on each tortilla and roll up tortilla.