Bourbon Street shooting victim, 21, dies - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Bourbon Street shooting victim, 21, dies

Brittany Thomas, 21 (Source: Twitter) Brittany Thomas, 21 (Source: Twitter)
Person of interest: Justin Odom, 20 Person of interest: Justin Odom, 20

A 21-year-old victim in Sunday's Bourbon Street shooting has died, police say.

Brittany Thomas, 21, died around 2:45 p.m. Wednesday, according to officials. Thomas was from Hammond, Louisiana. She was previously listed in critical condition. 

"Our deepest thoughts and sympathies are with the family of Brittany Thomas," said Mayor Mitch Landrieu. "This type of tragedy strikes at the heart of who we are as a people and as a city. Now more than ever we need the community to come forward with information to bring the perpetrators to justice."

Ten people were shot at about 2:45 a.m. in the 700 block of Bourbon Street on Sunday. The scanner recording reveals an intense search for suspects and the discovery of victim after victim as the scene unfolds. Six victims are from out of state, one being from as far away as Australia, police said Tuesday.

As of Thursday afternoon, one victim remains in the hospital and eight have been treated and released. 

On Wednesday, the New Orleans Police Department identified a person of interest in last weekend's shooting as 20-year-old Justin Odom. The announcement comes on the heels of police releasing surveillance video of Odom on Tuesday.

Police say Odom is known to associate with a white male named either "Josh" or "Joe" who is also a person of interest in this investigation. 

Odom is currently wanted on unrelated warrants.

City and national leaders gathered on Tuesday to discuss the mass shooting on Bourbon Street that has captured international attention, urging anyone with information on the incident to come forward.

"For those of you that are holding on to information under the guise of protecting individuals in your community who have perpetrated violence in our streets under the concept of no snitching or stop snitching, let me tell you something - that is the handiwork of the devil," said U.S. Attorney Kenneth Polite.

A new call for the public to get involved comes following new information about the ten victims. Six victims are from out of state, one being from as far away as Australia, police said Tuesday.

Detectives are requesting for the public's assistance in obtaining any photos or videos taken of the incident or any photos or videos taken from the French Quarter on the night of the shooting to be sent to NOPDTIPS@nola.gov.

Follow FOX 8:     

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • WATCH LIVE ON 7NEWS SUNRISE: VP Mike Pence to visit Baton Rouge

    WATCH LIVE ON 7NEWS SUNRISE: VP Mike Pence to visit Baton Rouge

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 5:27 AM EDT2017-05-24 09:27:25 GMT
    (Source: Wikipedia)(Source: Wikipedia)

    Good Morning. John Bridges and Britney Glaser here with a look at what's coming up on 7News Sunrise. 

    More >>

    Good Morning. John Bridges and Britney Glaser here with a look at what's coming up on 7News Sunrise. 

    More >>
  • Another cost increase for Prien Lake Elementary project

    Another cost increase for Prien Lake Elementary project

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 10:59 PM EDT2017-05-24 02:59:12 GMT
    (Source: www.gator995.com)(Source: www.gator995.com)

    It will take yet another chunk of tax dollars to complete a road and canopy at Prien Lake Elementary in Lake Charles. The student pick-up/drop-off area is needed to improve traffic congestion on Nelson Road. However, Calcasieu Parish taxpayers are on the hook for an additional $33,153 because of dirt issues. 

    More >>

    It will take yet another chunk of tax dollars to complete a road and canopy at Prien Lake Elementary in Lake Charles. The student pick-up/drop-off area is needed to improve traffic congestion on Nelson Road. However, Calcasieu Parish taxpayers are on the hook for an additional $33,153 because of dirt issues. 

    More >>
  • UPDATE: Gage Meche recovering after second surgery

    UPDATE: Gage Meche recovering after second surgery

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 10:58 PM EDT2017-05-24 02:58:17 GMT
    Gage Meche (Source: Facebook)Gage Meche (Source: Facebook)

    The 7-year-old shot at an elementary school in Moss Bluff is undergoing surgery again. “Complications have arisen and Gage Meche is back in surgery," family attorney Ron Richard said. "The family asks for prayers.” The family announced Monday on the Facebook page Gage's Road to Recovery that he was brought to the ER in Lafayette due to complications. After the accidental shooting on Monday, May 15, Gage returned home from the hospital on Saturday. The shootin...

    More >>

    The 7-year-old shot at an elementary school in Moss Bluff is undergoing surgery again. “Complications have arisen and Gage Meche is back in surgery," family attorney Ron Richard said. "The family asks for prayers.” The family announced Monday on the Facebook page Gage's Road to Recovery that he was brought to the ER in Lafayette due to complications. After the accidental shooting on Monday, May 15, Gage returned home from the hospital on Saturday. The shootin...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly