It's football in the middle of June; there are no pads and no true contact. Thus, full evaluations at this stage of the game are a bit incomplete. So keep that in mind as you read my analysis.
The TRUE determinant will be when the pads come on.
Nonetheless, another Saints minicamp is in the books and a few storylines emerged.
I'll admit it. I sold Ryan Griffin short. I didn't think he'd be ready to be a legitimate backup in the NFL in 2014.
His performance at minicamp has made me re-think that.
RG4 looks poised, confident and most of all comfortable in his second year in the system.
He consistently made decisive reads and accurate throws all week. He is splitting time with Luke McCown with the second team. McCown could very well win the job but at the very least Griffin has made backup quarterback a legitimate competition in training camp.
Toon Taking Advantage
Nick Toon needs a good offseason and training camp to make the roster at wide receiver.
He's off to a good start.
Like Griffin above Toon just seems more comfortable with the system, thus he looks much more confident on the field. He consistently made catch and after catch.
- Brandin Cooks won't be in New Orleans until next week but has apparently been studying up every night while he is finishing up in Coravalis. Cooks will be the prevailing storyline for the final week of OTA's.
- Not so fast on the 'project' label of second round pick Stanley Jean Baptiste. 'Projects' don't normally get first team reps during their rookie minicamp like SJB has. Maybe he's picking things up quicker than all the 'experts' think.
- Fifth round pick Vinnie Sunseri has spent all offseason with the second team at safety. As I've said since he was drafted, Sunseri is more than just an 'all heart' special team's warrior, he has a real chance to be a solid contributor on defense.
- Sixth round pick Tavon Rooks has spent all offseason with the third team at left tackle.
- I've gotten a lot of questions about the starting center. My answer is simply we won't know until the pads come on. Tim Lelito is still taking the majority of the snaps with the first team but Jonathan Goodwin has gotten some snaps there as well.
-As the offseason continues it appears right now the frontrunner for the starting cornerback job is Champ Bailey. Bailey has gotten the majority of starting reps but has also split time with Jean-Baptiste and Patrick Robinson. I think this battle is far from determined.
-There's still plenty of football to evaluate but by sheer number of reps, it appears Travaris Cadet is getting the first crack at the ‘Darren Sproles' role for the Saints offense. Cadet can really catch the ball clean and has that one-cut quickness to create a big play.
-Kenny Stills appears to be ready to break out. As Coach Payton has said, his route tree has expanded and can be an extremely versatile weapon of this whether it's on the outside or in the slot.
<p><em>Follow FOX 8: </em> <a href="http://www.fb.com/fox8nola" target="_blank"><img
src="http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wvue/wvue_elements/facebook-web-story.jpg" border="0" alt="" height="20" align="top" /></a> <a
href="http://twitter.com/fox8nola" target="_blank"><img src="http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wvue/wvue_elements/twitter-web-story.jpg" border="0" alt=""
height="20" align="top" /></a> </p>
<p><em>Copyright 2014</em><em> </em><a href="http://fox8live.com/"><em>WVUE</em></a><em>. All rights reserved. <br /></em></p>