Mother mistakenly tries to extinguish fire with gas - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Mother tries to extinguish fire with water from dog bowl, finds daughter filled it with gas

Posted: Updated:
Fire crews responded to a house fire on S. Shelby Street Fire crews responded to a house fire on S. Shelby Street
Maj. Rob Milliner of Louisville Fire and Rescue Maj. Rob Milliner of Louisville Fire and Rescue
  • More Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Westlake PD addresses Sasol expansion traffic concerns

    Westlake PD addresses Sasol expansion traffic concerns

    Friday, August 1 2014 12:20 AM EDT2014-08-01 04:20:01 GMT
    Traffic was the hot topic at Westlake City Hall Thursday as the Westlake Police Department informed citizens on changes to cope with the massive expansion of Sasol.More >>
    Traffic was the hot topic at Westlake City Hall Thursday as the Westlake Police Department informed citizens on changes to cope with the massive expansion of Sasol.More >>
  • Senate passes VA reform bill for clinics in Lafayette, Lake Charles

    Senate passes VA reform bill for clinics in Lafayette, Lake Charles

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:54:00 GMT
    (Source: MGN Online)(Source: MGN Online)
    The U.S. Senate passed a bill Thursday that reforms the Veterans Affairs Administration and allows for the authorization of VA outpatient clinics in Lake Charles and Lafayette.More >>
    The U.S. Senate passed a bill Thursday that reforms the Veterans Affairs Administration and allows for the authorization of VA outpatient clinics in Lake Charles and Lafayette.More >>
  • Women capitalizing on jobs in SWLA plants

    Women capitalizing on jobs in SWLA plants

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:21 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:21:18 GMT
    Valerie Burnett, Operator at SasolValerie Burnett, Operator at Sasol
    Have you considered working in the local plants of Southwest Louisiana? With all the job opportunities available now and coming in the future, many women are capitalizing on the openings.More >>
    Have you considered working in the local plants of Southwest Louisiana? With all the job opportunities available now and coming in the future, many women are capitalizing on the openings.More >>

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A small house fire spread quickly when a woman tried to extinguish it with water from her dog's bowl, not knowing that her daughter had filled the bowl with gasoline.

Investigators say that a 3-year-old girl mistakenly filled the water bowl with gas from a nearby canister.

When the mother discovered a small fire in the rear of their S. Shelby Street home, she quickly grabbed the bowl and threw the gasoline on the fire, Maj. Rob Milliner of Louisville Fire and Rescue said.

Firefighters responded to the fire around 10:30 a.m. Saturday. It took about an hour for crews to put out the fire, which had spread to the neighbor's house. Nobody was hurt at either house.

Investigators are not sure how the fire started.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow