Squirrel caused line to fall that electrocuted teen - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Blue Ridge Co-op: Squirrel caused line to fall that electrocuted teen

Posted: Updated:
  • More Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Iota couple charged with theft

    Iota couple charged with theft

    Thursday, July 24 2014 2:57 PM EDT2014-07-24 18:57:05 GMT
    An Iota couple has been arrested, following an investigation by the Acadia Parish Sheriff's Office into a shoplifting incident.More >>
    An Iota couple has been arrested, following an investigation by the Acadia Parish Sheriff's Office into a shoplifting incident.More >>
  • Three arrested in connection with Lake Charles shooting

    Three arrested in connection with Lake Charles shooting

    Thursday, July 24 2014 2:26 PM EDT2014-07-24 18:26:06 GMT
    Three individuals have been arrested following a shooting that took place Wednesday night in Lake Charles in the 2200 block of 10th St.More >>
    Three individuals have been arrested following a shooting that took place Wednesday night in Lake Charles in the 2200 block of 10th St.More >>
  • Nautilus gives us a new look at WWII history

    Nautilus gives us a new look at WWII history

    Thursday, July 24 2014 1:11 PM EDT2014-07-24 17:11:03 GMT
    The underwater exploration vessel Nautilus is giving us a new look at history.More >>
    The underwater exploration vessel Nautilus is giving us a new look at history.More >>
ANDERSON, SC (FOX Carolina) -

A teenage girl was fatally electrocuted outside her home on Christopher Lane in Anderson County Thursday night, according to Anderson County Coroner Greg Shore.

Shore has identified the victim as 16-year-old Emily Donald.

Shore said the power went off inside Donald's home. She then thought she saw a fire outside and went to see. The coroner said when she stepped outside, she somehow came in contact with the power line.

Terry Ballenger with Blue Ridge Co-op said a squirrel came in contact with the electric wire, causing the pole to catch fire. He said the wire eventually came loose and was still energized with 7,200 volts when it was on the ground.

The Anderson Fire Department and Anderson Sheriff's Department responded to the scene and found the teenager on the ground.

Shore said they are still investigating how Donald came in contact with the power line.

Copyright 2014 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow