Hoover residents had a chance to learn more about a study that examined the impact of losing school buses.
The a spokesperson for the firm who completed the study, which was paid for by Councilor Gene Smith, was available to answer questions from the public Monday evening.
The study was not on the agenda for Monday's city council meeting but was brought up by Smith. The city attorney advised councilors not to discuss or get involved in school board business. Once the council meeting was adjourned and most of the council had left, the spokesperson took questions from the audience.
The study, which was released last week, concluded that the loss of school bus service would negatively impact the city. The firm's spokesperson says that Hoover is a hot real estate market and having school bus service is always a big selling point. However, he said that when services are cut, that could damage home sales.
The Hoover School System announced earlier this year that due to financial constraints, they would be forced to cancel bus services to all but special education students beginning in the 2014-2015 school year.
The announcement has been met with great opposition from parents and residents alike.
State Superintendent Dr. Tommy Bice and the school system confirmed last week that they have been discussing the cuts with the Department of Justice. The NAACP has also told FOX6 News that they are investigating allegations of discrimination that some say are at play in the decision to cut buses.
Sherea Harris was present at the hearing and will have more on this story tonight at 9 and 10.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.