$3.7 million approved by state to rebuild new Sandy Hook School - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

$3.7 million approved by state to rebuild new Sandy Hook School

NEWTOWN, CT (WFSB) -

The Connecticut State Bond Commission approved $3.7 million Friday morning, which will be used to help build a replacement for Sandy Hook Elementary School.

On May 10, a Newtown panel recommended tearing down Sandy Hook Elementary School and rebuilding a new school on the same site.

The new address for the school will be 12 Riverside Dr. with the old road being turned into a gravel access road and decommissioned.

Earlier this week, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said he pledged his full spport toward the project.

"Healing from an enormous tragedy like this is never easy. There are no simple answers, and the challenges are many. With strong resolve and a determination to move forward, we can do our best to support the people of Newtown," Malloy said in a previous statement.

Malloy said that the funding is being made available now to help the project, still in its early stages, to begin moving forward as fast as possible.

On Dec. 14, 20 first-graders and six adults were shot and killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

A townwide referendum on the project will be held on Oct. 5 from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Newtown Middle School on Queen Street.

"Shall the $49,250,000 special appropriation for architectural and engineering services for the design of a new elementary school in Sandy Hook, demolition of existing school and for the construction of said school and the acquisition of two parcels of land for the purpose of relocating the entrance of said school, said special appropriation to be funded by a grant from the State of Connecticut, be approved," the referendum question reads.

If approved, the 56-year-old school would be demolished sometime in November, according to the town's website.

For the current school year, the students that would have attended Sandy Hook are attending a school renovated just for them in the neighboring town of Monroe.

For more information about the referendum, click here.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • FIRST ALERT FORECAST: Cold front arrives tonight with storms possible, lower humidity the next few days

    FIRST ALERT FORECAST: Cold front arrives tonight with storms possible, lower humidity the next few days

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 11:43 PM EDT2017-05-24 03:43:46 GMT
    Less humid Wednesday!Less humid Wednesday!

    A cold front will move through Southwest Louisiana late Tuesday or early Wednesday.  This will bring noticeably drier air back to our area and that means we get a break from the humidity!  But it will also bring scattered showers and thunderstorms tonight.  The timing looks to be between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. Wednesday.  The risk of severe weather is very low, but like last night, it is not zero!

    More >>

    A cold front will move through Southwest Louisiana late Tuesday or early Wednesday.  This will bring noticeably drier air back to our area and that means we get a break from the humidity!  But it will also bring scattered showers and thunderstorms tonight.  The timing looks to be between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. Wednesday.  The risk of severe weather is very low, but like last night, it is not zero!

    More >>
  • Another cost increase for Prien Lake Elementary project

    Another cost increase for Prien Lake Elementary project

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 10:59 PM EDT2017-05-24 02:59:12 GMT
    (Source: www.gator995.com)(Source: www.gator995.com)

    It will take yet another chunk of tax dollars to complete a road and canopy at Prien Lake Elementary in Lake Charles. The student pick-up/drop-off area is needed to improve traffic congestion on Nelson Road. However, Calcasieu Parish taxpayers are on the hook for an additional $33,153 because of dirt issues. 

    More >>

    It will take yet another chunk of tax dollars to complete a road and canopy at Prien Lake Elementary in Lake Charles. The student pick-up/drop-off area is needed to improve traffic congestion on Nelson Road. However, Calcasieu Parish taxpayers are on the hook for an additional $33,153 because of dirt issues. 

    More >>
  • UPDATE: Gage Meche recovering after second surgery

    UPDATE: Gage Meche recovering after second surgery

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 10:58 PM EDT2017-05-24 02:58:17 GMT
    Gage Meche (Source: Facebook)Gage Meche (Source: Facebook)

    The 7-year-old shot at an elementary school in Moss Bluff is undergoing surgery again. “Complications have arisen and Gage Meche is back in surgery," family attorney Ron Richard said. "The family asks for prayers.” The family announced Monday on the Facebook page Gage's Road to Recovery that he was brought to the ER in Lafayette due to complications. After the accidental shooting on Monday, May 15, Gage returned home from the hospital on Saturday. The shootin...

    More >>

    The 7-year-old shot at an elementary school in Moss Bluff is undergoing surgery again. “Complications have arisen and Gage Meche is back in surgery," family attorney Ron Richard said. "The family asks for prayers.” The family announced Monday on the Facebook page Gage's Road to Recovery that he was brought to the ER in Lafayette due to complications. After the accidental shooting on Monday, May 15, Gage returned home from the hospital on Saturday. The shootin...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly