Not guilty plea entered for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Not guilty plea entered for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro

Posted: Updated:
Ariel Castro ordered to look at judge during Wednesday's court hearing Ariel Castro ordered to look at judge during Wednesday's court hearing
  • More Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • TRAFFIC: Cameron Ferry out of service until Wednesday morning

    TRAFFIC: Cameron Ferry out of service until Wednesday morning

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 12:08 AM EDT2014-07-30 04:08:05 GMT
    Officials have said the Cameron Ferry will be out of service until early Wednesday morning.No reason was given for the outage.Copyright 2014KPLC. All rights reserved.More >>
    Officials have said the Cameron Ferry will be out of service until early Wednesday morning.No reason was given for the outage.Copyright 2014KPLC. All rights reserved.More >>
  • BP claim forms circulating in LC area

    BP claim forms circulating in LC area

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 8:42 PM EDT2014-07-30 00:42:19 GMT
    Over the last couple of weeks someone has been circulating so-called BP oil claim forms in the Lake Charles area. While man, if not most medical claims associated with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill have been settled, someone is holding meetings around the Lake area trying to get people to sign up. But they're not too forthcoming when it comes to saying who they are or who they represent. Last week there were crowds at Miss Street Church of Christ during various times of the day."People ther...More >>
    Over the last couple of weeks someone has been circulating so-called BP oil claim forms in the Lake Charles area. While man, if not most medical claims associated with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill have been settled, someone is holding meetings around the Lake area trying to get people to sign up. But they're not too forthcoming when it comes to saying who they are or who they represent. Last week there were crowds at Miss Street Church of Christ during various times of the day."People ther...More >>
  • CPSB conference encourages principals to lead schools well

    CPSB conference encourages principals to lead schools well

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:38 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:38:11 GMT
    Every issue in a school always comes down to leadership. That’s one of the main points being driven at this year’s Calcasieu Parish School Board Leadership Summit. More >>
    Every issue in a school always comes down to leadership. That’s one of the main points being driven at this year’s Calcasieu Parish School Board Leadership Summit. More >>
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

The Cleveland man suspected of kidnapping three women and holding them captive for years inside his west side home was arraigned on hundreds of new charges Wednesday.

As in past court appearances, Ariel Castro entered the courtroom with his head lowered and avoided eye contact. But on Wednesday, the judge ordered Castro to lift his head and look at her while she reviewed a summary of the new charges. Castro did as he was told.

Defense attorneys then entered a not guilty plea to the 977-count indictment filed against Castro last week.

The new indictment covers the entire time period from August 2002, when the first of the three women disappeared, until May of this year. The original indictment covered only the first four and a half years of the women's captivity.

The charges include aggravated murder stemming from the death of an unborn child of one of the women. That victim says Castro forced her to lose multiple babies after she got pregnant.

Last Thursday, a County Prosecutor Committee met to discuss whether Castro should get the death penalty. That still remains an option.

Castro is accused of holding Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus captive in his Seymour Avenue house for years before they were rescued on May 6.

Berry gave birth to his daughter while in captivity.

Castro's bond remains at $8M and he is to avoid contact with the victims.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow