Officials assessing impact of 6,700-acre Doce Fire - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

UPDATE

Officials assessing impact of 6,700-acre Doce Fire

Posted: Updated:
A DC-10 tanker spreads retardant on the Doce Fire near Prescott on Wednesday. (Source: CBS 5 News) A DC-10 tanker spreads retardant on the Doce Fire near Prescott on Wednesday. (Source: CBS 5 News)
  • More Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • McNeese connects students to businesses in Southwest Louisiana

    McNeese connects students to businesses in Southwest Louisiana

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:32 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:32:21 GMT
    McNeese State University is proving its connecting students to big business in Southwest Louisiana thanks to a grant from the Economic Development Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce.More >>
    McNeese State University is proving its connecting students to big business in Southwest Louisiana thanks to a grant from the Economic Development Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce.
    More >>
  • 25th annual Marshland Festival

    25th annual Marshland Festival

    25th annual Marshland Festival

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:24 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:24:54 GMT
    Put your rubber boots on. The 25th annual Marshland Festival is in full swing at the Civic Center. The festival raises money for the youth in Hackberry. Currently, it benefits 15 different youth organizations. More >>
    Put your rubber boots on. The 25th annual Marshland Festival is in full swing at the Civic Center. The festival raises money for the youth in Hackberry. Currently, it benefits 15 different youth organizations.
    More >>
  • Karey pleads not guilty to murder

    Karey pleads not guilty to murder

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:20 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:20:31 GMT
    Woodrow Karey Jr., the man accused of fatally shooting a Lake Charles pastor during a church service last year, pleaded not guilty in state district court Monday morning.More >>
    Woodrow Karey Jr., the man accused of fatally shooting a Lake Charles pastor during a church service last year, pleaded not guilty in state district court Monday morning.More >>
PRESCOTT, AZ (CBS5) -

Forest officials are planning what to do next after the Doce Fire burned 6,767 acres of the Prescott National Forest, and cost more than $7.2 million.

The Prescott National Forest BAR team said they plan to apply seeds and mulch to areas of severe burn to limit the risk to soils, hydrologic function and forest resources.

Officials are also warning of potential flooding and debris for residents who live downstream from the burned.

The human-caused fire was fully contained on Thursday.

In all, Hotshot crews and more than 740 firefighters, 21 hand crews, 27 engines, one helicopter and one bulldozer were used to contain the fire.

"The crews cut a direct fire line, and separated the fuel from the fire," Tony Sciacca said. "Crews dragged hoses, and water and extinguished hot spots. We feel the fire will not escape that containment line."

He said Iron Springs Road, south of the fire, between the intersection with Williamson Valley and Conteras roads, has reopened.

No structures had been lost, and 460 homes had been evacuated.

One person had a minor eye abrasion from the fire. No other injuries have been reported.

Individuals who may have seen suspicious activity related to the Doce Fire are asked to contact Forest Service Law Enforcement and Investigations at 928-527-3508 or 928-527-3509.

[Text BREAKING to 23765 to get news alerts on your mobile phone]

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow