Sulphur apartment fire injures three people and displaces 8 fami - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Sulphur apartment fire injures three and displaces eight families

Posted: Updated:
  • More Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Candlelight Vigil for boy who died in house fire

    Candlelight Vigil for boy who died in house fire

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:02 AM EDT2014-08-22 04:02:51 GMT
    A Candlelight Vigil brought together almost 100 people for 7-year-old Kahlil Dangerfield who died from a house fire.More >>
    A Candlelight Vigil brought together almost 100 people for 7-year-old Kahlil Dangerfield who died from a house fire.More >>
  • Palermo in court fighting criminal charges & seizures

    Palermo in court fighting criminal charges & seizures

    Thursday, August 21 2014 8:17 PM EDT2014-08-22 00:17:11 GMT
    There's a hotly contested court battle underway between Sulphur businessman Joe Palermo and the state. And it now, partly deals with an investigation that has yet to result in criminal charges.Palermo was due on court motions fighting pending criminal charges against him, including forgery and possession of stolen things. But first off the defense filed a motion asking to secure and examine items seized yesterday, including Palermo's computer. Palermo attorney Karl says the seizure of compute...More >>
    There's a hotly contested court battle underway between Sulphur businessman Joe Palermo and the state. And it now, partly deals with an investigation that has yet to result in criminal charges.Palermo was due on court motions fighting pending criminal charges against him, including forgery and possession of stolen things. But first off the defense filed a motion asking to secure and examine items seized yesterday, including Palermo's computer. Palermo attorney Karl says the seizure of compute...More >>
  • Flushable wipes causing havoc for sewer systems in Lake Charles

    Flushable wipes causing havoc for sewer systems in Lake Charles

    Thursday, August 21 2014 7:49 PM EDT2014-08-21 23:49:13 GMT
    What we flush matters. The infrastructure in Lake Charles goes back 50 years in many places. Wastewater administrators said an old system was not built for many items we flush today, like flushable wipes.More >>
    What we flush matters. The infrastructure in Lake Charles goes back 50 years in many places. Wastewater administrators said an old system was not built for many items we flush today, like flushable wipes.
    More >>
SULPHUR, LA (KPLC) -

Eight families are displaced and three residents injured after an apartment fire in Sulphur. The fire started shortly before 4 p.m. Sunday off Frederick Street.

It's still unclear how the fire started.

Sulphur District Fire Chief Matt Frey said they were dispatched by a 911 call from nearby residents.

"When we got on the scene, flames and heavy smoke were coming from the second story of the apartment building," Frey said.

Before firefighters could start attacking the fire from the ground and above, they went door-to-door looking for anyone who may still be inside.

"Because you have a lot of problems with who is inside and residents report they don't know exactly who is there. They think they might be there and it winds up with a lot of time searching for people that may or may not be in the building," Frey said.

Everyone managed to make it to safety but not without injury. Three people were taken to the hospital. According to witnesses, one of the victims had to jump from a second-story window.

Lacey Courville was at work and said she just moved into the building the day before.

"I was excited. We were excited. We were going to finish moving in all of our stuff today. We have just our bedroom set and our washer and dryer ... left all of our clothes and everything is in there. It's devastating. We've lost almost everything," said Courville.

Tamara and Michael Crim, along with their four-month-old daughter, live in one of the bottom units. They were at Wal-Mart when the fire started and said they were just starting to get back on their feet.

"We had just lost everything in Texas. We finally got a house full of stuff again. We had all new furniture, just made her own baby room and everything and now it's all gone," said Tamara.

Most of the residents told KPLC they do not have renter's insurance and are still unsure how they'll move forward.

"I really haven't had time to think about it. It really hasn't sunk in completely yet," said Courville.

"I'm just glad we weren't here and the baby is okay and everything. And her animals. Everything else can be replaced eventually, but we got the important things out," said Michael.

At least one firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion on the scene by Acadian Ambulance.

The American Red Cross was on the scene and helped provide assistance to 16 families.

Copyright 2013 KPLC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow