Cincinnati runners in Boston for marathon when explosion strikes - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Cincinnati runners in Boston for marathon reportedly all OK

Couple embraces after Boston Marathon explosions (Photo courtesy Elliot Friar). Couple embraces after Boston Marathon explosions (Photo courtesy Elliot Friar).
BOSTON, MA (FOX19) -

Dozens of local runners were in Boston to run the marathon when two explosions rocked the event.

Two explosions happened near the finish line of the Boston Marathon at about 2:50 p.m. ET Monday, nearly three hours after the first of the event's winners crossed.

"We had the windows open on the third floor looking over the finish line, and watching people kind of coming across the finish line, and you heard a huge explosion," said Greg Johnson.

Johnson is one of the runners from Cincinnati who was at the Boston Marathon. He was looking out his window at the Charlesmark Hotel when the explosions happened.

"I saw one person that had both his legs that were blown off.  We saw several other people just severely injured.  It was pretty gruesome," Johnson said in a phone call to store employees while our cameras were there.

Bob Roncker's Running Spot is the training home for some of these marathon runners.  They had a group of about 20-25 runners at the marathon on Monday.

"Overall, from greater Cincinnati, northern Kentucky, there were probably 150 or more that qualified.  Not everybody goes.  We think there's about 25 from our specific training group," said store owner, Bob Roncker.

One of the shop's employees who works to coordinate training groups there says they had other runners close by the scene when the explosions happened.

"We had a runner who was in the Charlesmark Hotel who said he saw it, and we had a runner that was also heading back to the Charlesmark Hotel where she was staying that she couldn't get back that way because the police had already pushed everybody to go the opposite direction," said Joe Fung, who works at the Running Spot.

Fmr. Congresswoman Jean Schmidt and her twin sister were also in Boston running the marathon together. Read about her story here - http://www.fox19.com/story/21984983/jean-schmidt-all-of-a-sudden-i-head-this-boom

In addition, Former Flying Pig champion Alison Delgado ran in Boston. She and her family are okay. Tina Husted, the wife of Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted, ran the race and is safe.

Colerain High School Principal Maureen Heintz turned to Twitter to let her district know she was safe after running the marathon.

As some of the runners made their way back to Cincinnati Monday night, thoughts turned to future races, like the Flying Pig Marathon in May.

"Our thoughts are with those people who are injured.  Certainly the thought is, 'Okay, how will this affect races perhaps in the future,'" added Roncker.

If you need to track a racer, follow this link http://raceday.baa.org/individual.html

Google has also set up a 'Person Finder' for those affected by the Boston Marathon explosions http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/

Indiana officials have set up a contact number for Indiana residents having trouble contacting family in Boston: (617) 635-4500.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Over a decade later and still no completion to the Enterprise Boulevard expansion project

    Over a decade later and still no completion to the Enterprise Boulevard expansion project

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:45 PM EST2018-02-22 04:45:40 GMT
    (Source: Maranda Whittington/KPLC)(Source: Maranda Whittington/KPLC)

    It was pitched an opportunity to bring economic growth to the north side of Lake Charles, but now ti seems the Enterprise Boulevard Extension project will never come to fruition.  The second phase still hasn't been completed to connect Enterprise Boulevard to Highway 171.  Wednesday night city council member Mary Morris suggested another plan to get things rolling.  Restaurants, condos and retail outlets was suppose to come for North Lake Charles, but it's been ...

    More >>

    It was pitched an opportunity to bring economic growth to the north side of Lake Charles, but now ti seems the Enterprise Boulevard Extension project will never come to fruition.  The second phase still hasn't been completed to connect Enterprise Boulevard to Highway 171.  Wednesday night city council member Mary Morris suggested another plan to get things rolling.  Restaurants, condos and retail outlets was suppose to come for North Lake Charles, but it's been ...

    More >>
  • Louisiana DOTD releases I-10 bridge construction details

    Louisiana DOTD releases I-10 bridge construction details

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 10:04 PM EST2018-02-22 03:04:07 GMT
    (Source: Calcasieu Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness)(Source: Calcasieu Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness)
    The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announced that construction work on I-10 in Lake Charles is scheduled to begin on March 3. The expansion joints on the I-10 Calcasieu River Bridge need maintenance which will be performed by C.E.C, Inc., a Lafayette-based company. The construction of the I-10 bridge must take place in order to handle the traffic volume anticipated during the upcoming I-210 re-decking project. The $8.5 million project on I-10 ...More >>
    The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announced that construction work on I-10 in Lake Charles is scheduled to begin on March 3. The expansion joints on the I-10 Calcasieu River Bridge need maintenance which will be performed by C.E.C, Inc., a Lafayette-based company. The construction of the I-10 bridge must take place in order to handle the traffic volume anticipated during the upcoming I-210 re-decking project. The $8.5 million project on I-10 ...More >>
  • State Police: 'See something, say something' using mobile app

    State Police: 'See something, say something' using mobile app

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 10:08 PM EST2018-02-22 03:08:11 GMT
    (Source: See it, Send it app)(Source: See it, Send it app)

    Copycat threats to schools have been report to law enforcement agencies across the country, state, and in Southwest Louisiana. Multiple suspects have been arrested, many charged with terrorizing, which carries a penalty of up to 15 years in prison and/or a maximum fine of $15,000 if charged as an adult. However, according to Louisiana State Police, the majority of the threats received were found to have no credible danger to public safety. "Although we highly encourage cit...

    More >>

    Copycat threats to schools have been report to law enforcement agencies across the country, state, and in Southwest Louisiana. Multiple suspects have been arrested, many charged with terrorizing, which carries a penalty of up to 15 years in prison and/or a maximum fine of $15,000 if charged as an adult. However, according to Louisiana State Police, the majority of the threats received were found to have no credible danger to public safety. "Although we highly encourage cit...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly