Hog hunter tournament brings in big hogs - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Hog hunter tournament brings in big hogs

RAGLEY, LA (KPLC) -

A big tournament brought in some big hogs this weekend near Ragley. The Bayou Hog Boys held a hog hunting tournament.

Seven teams started hunting the furry hogs on Friday. Their goal was to catch five live hogs and bring them back by Sunday at 2 p.m. to be weighed.

Organizer Jonathan Cradure said hog hunting is fun but can be dangerous.

"It's a little scary. We run them with dogs and no weapons. We catch them with the dogs and a piece of rope," explained Cradure.

For this contest, the hunters could hunt the hogs anywhere in Louisiana.

"There are different strains of hogs in different parts of the state. In north Louisiana, they are harder to catch but down here they are a little bit easier," said Cradure. "The challenge is to see who can catch the biggest. Just like a bunch of guys fishing ... they talk about who has the biggest fish. We hog hunt and see who has the biggest hog."

The entry fee for each team was $200. Once weighed in and the scores calculated - the team with the biggest single hog wins 40 percent of the money and the team with the most combined weight wins the remaining 60 percent of the money.

The biggest hog weighed in at 270 pounds. The most combined weight of five hogs was 770 pounds.

Cradure said anyone with questions about hogs can look them up on their "Bayou Hog Boys" Facebook page or contact them at 496-9500.

Copyright 2013 KPLC. All rights reserved.

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • CPSB announces "Teach for Calcasieu" program

    CPSB announces "Teach for Calcasieu" program

    Thursday, April 26 2018 4:55 PM EDT2018-04-26 20:55:45 GMT
    (Source: CPSB)(Source: CPSB)
    (Source: CPSB)(Source: CPSB)
    Calcasieu Parish School Board has announced their upcoming "Teach for Calcasieu" program, according to Holly Holland, public information officer for the school board. The program, also sponsored by McNeese State University College of Education, is aimed at recruiting teachers. Young says the program offers 24 tuition-free credit hours to eligible prospective teachers seeking alternative education in high need content areas. The qualifications are as follows: Have a&nbs...More >>
    Calcasieu Parish School Board has announced their upcoming "Teach for Calcasieu" program, according to Holly Holland, public information officer for the school board. The program, also sponsored by McNeese State University College of Education, is aimed at recruiting teachers. Young says the program offers 24 tuition-free credit hours to eligible prospective teachers seeking alternative education in high need content areas. The qualifications are as follows: Have a&nbs...More >>
  • Clues sought on severed heads discovered Cameron Parish, Texas

    Clues sought on severed heads discovered in Texas, Louisiana

    Thursday, April 26 2018 2:56 PM EDT2018-04-26 18:56:06 GMT
    Workers along a Louisiana highway found a human head wrapped in a plastic bag Thursday afternoon. (Source: Axxis Maps)Workers along a Louisiana highway found a human head wrapped in a plastic bag Thursday afternoon. (Source: Axxis Maps)

    Investigators are trying to determine if severed heads discovered last month near lakes in Texas and Louisiana are part of the same gruesome case.

    More >>

    Investigators are trying to determine if severed heads discovered last month near lakes in Texas and Louisiana are part of the same gruesome case.

    More >>
  • FIRST ALERT FORECAST: Lots of sunshine in store for Friday with a dry weekend ahead

    FIRST ALERT FORECAST: Lots of sunshine in store for Friday with a dry weekend ahead

    Thursday, April 26 2018 1:39 PM EDT2018-04-26 17:39:45 GMT
    Nice weather on FridayNice weather on Friday
    Nice weather on FridayNice weather on Friday

    For the rest of today, it will be very nice to get outside. There are not many clouds, and therefore there is a lot of sunshine! Temperatures are a bit cooler outside compared to the last few days. Plus, the humidity is lower, so it feels better outside! The temperatures will be cooling down quickly after sunset. Tonight, there will not be any clouds and therefore no rain. There should be cool temperatures overnight. Lows will be back in the 50s. 

    More >>

    For the rest of today, it will be very nice to get outside. There are not many clouds, and therefore there is a lot of sunshine! Temperatures are a bit cooler outside compared to the last few days. Plus, the humidity is lower, so it feels better outside! The temperatures will be cooling down quickly after sunset. Tonight, there will not be any clouds and therefore no rain. There should be cool temperatures overnight. Lows will be back in the 50s. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly