One person injured, home heavily damaged in Saturday fire - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

One person injured, home heavily damaged in Saturday fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Family united with old family photos

    Family united with old family photos

    Family united with old family photos

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:53 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:53:17 GMT
    A Lake Charles man, Rick Buller, found old photo wheels with picture slides where his aunt works, Brussard Gregg and Neal Bookkeeping and Tax Service in Lake Charles. These photos became a mission for him to find out whose they were.More >>
    A Lake Charles man, Rick Buller, found old photo wheels with picture slides where his aunt works, Brussard Gregg and Neal Bookkeeping and Tax Service in Lake Charles. These photos became a mission for him to find out whose they were.More >>
  • Authorities investigating St. Mary Drive shooting

    Authorities investigating St. Mary Drive shooting

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:15 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:15:10 GMT
    Authorities are investigating a Sunday shooting in the 1300 block of St. Mary Drive in Lake Charles.More >>
    Authorities are investigating a Sunday shooting in the 1300 block of St. Mary Drive in Lake Charles.More >>
  • AAR signs deal with major company

    AAR signs deal with major company

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:40 PM EDT2014-07-29 00:40:46 GMT
    AAR says it has signed with a major carrier to begin employing mechanics in Lake Charles in the next few months. More >>
    AAR says it has signed with a major carrier to begin employing mechanics in Lake Charles in the next few months.  More >>
SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) -

One person was sent to the hospital following a fire in northern Smith County on Saturday afternoon.

The fire started around 1 p.m. off of County Road 314, that is near Tyler State Park.

Red Springs Fire Department was the first on scene and called in backup when they saw the home fully engulfed with smoke that could be seen for miles. 

Eventually, there were five departments all battling the fire, which took about an hour and a half to contain. Red Springs Fire Chief Tim Thompson confirmed one person was taken to the hospital with severe burns. 

Despite all the manpower, Lindale's Fire Department's Assistant Chief Clay Williamson said there were all of factors working against them.

"The wind had a little factor of it feeding the fire, make it bigger, make it hotter. Other than that, the water supply for fire hoses was a little limited for us,"  Williamson said.

Williamson said they used a foam system to suppress the rest of the ambers and even though the fire was out, the smoke would probably continue for the next couple of hours.

He said fire crews would monitor the property to make sure the fire did not spark back up.

Officials say the cause of the fire was spilled gas igniting from a dropped match in the garage. The young boy who dropped the match was the person that was injured. The extend of his injuries are not yet know at this time.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow