Claiborne authorities: Couple likely poisoned to death - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Claiborne authorities: Couple likely poisoned to death

Posted: Updated:
A generator similar to this one may have lead to the couple's death, authorities say. A generator similar to this one may have lead to the couple's death, authorities say.
CLAIBORNE PARISH, LA (KSLA) -

Claiborne Parish officials are looking into the death of a Summerfield couple's death, an incident they say may be the result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Paul Pitts, 50, and Linda Scott, 47, were pronounced dead at the scene by Claiborne Parish Officials. The two were found inside of a metal building in a pop-up camper on Washington Road in Summerfield.

Investigators found a generator hooked up to an electric heater inside of the building.

"If you operate a generator inside of an enclosed area there is a potential for carbon monoxide poisoning," says Shreveport Fire Asst. Chief Fred Sanders.

Chief Sanders says that portable generators should only be used outside of the home or building, and should be connected to an approved extension cord.

The Shreveport Fire Department can check inside of your home for carbon monoxide levels, but it is recommended by officials that all homes use a carbon monoxide detector.

Detectors can range in price between $20 and $30. Detectors can be found at most hardware stores. 

Copyright 2012 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow