Federal case against LSU bomb threat suspect dismissed - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Federal case against LSU bomb threat suspect dismissed

Posted: Updated:
William Bouvay Jr., suspect in LSU bomb threat (Source: EBRSO) William Bouvay Jr., suspect in LSU bomb threat (Source: EBRSO)
  • More Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • TRAFFIC: Cameron Ferry out of service until Wednesday morning

    TRAFFIC: Cameron Ferry out of service until Wednesday morning

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 12:08 AM EDT2014-07-30 04:08:05 GMT
    Officials have said the Cameron Ferry will be out of service until early Wednesday morning.No reason was given for the outage.Copyright 2014KPLC. All rights reserved.More >>
    Officials have said the Cameron Ferry will be out of service until early Wednesday morning.No reason was given for the outage.Copyright 2014KPLC. All rights reserved.More >>
  • BP claim forms circulating in LC area

    BP claim forms circulating in LC area

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 8:42 PM EDT2014-07-30 00:42:19 GMT
    Over the last couple of weeks someone has been circulating so-called BP oil claim forms in the Lake Charles area. While man, if not most medical claims associated with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill have been settled, someone is holding meetings around the Lake area trying to get people to sign up. But they're not too forthcoming when it comes to saying who they are or who they represent. Last week there were crowds at Miss Street Church of Christ during various times of the day."People ther...More >>
    Over the last couple of weeks someone has been circulating so-called BP oil claim forms in the Lake Charles area. While man, if not most medical claims associated with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill have been settled, someone is holding meetings around the Lake area trying to get people to sign up. But they're not too forthcoming when it comes to saying who they are or who they represent. Last week there were crowds at Miss Street Church of Christ during various times of the day."People ther...More >>
  • CPSB conference encourages principals to lead schools well

    CPSB conference encourages principals to lead schools well

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:38 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:38:11 GMT
    Every issue in a school always comes down to leadership. That’s one of the main points being driven at this year’s Calcasieu Parish School Board Leadership Summit. More >>
    Every issue in a school always comes down to leadership. That’s one of the main points being driven at this year’s Calcasieu Parish School Board Leadership Summit. More >>
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Federal charges against the man accused of making a bomb threat at LSU in September have been dropped, however, state charges against the man still stand and he faces a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison if convicted.

The dismissal of the federal indictment against William Bouvay, Jr, 42, of Baton Rouge happened Wednesday afternoon. The federal charge was one count of conveying false information concerning the attempt to destroy property by means of explosives.

The charge came from a false bomb threat that happened September 17, 2012 that caused the evacuation of LSU's campus. Bouvay faced up to 10 years in prison on just the federal charge.

Bouvay was also charged by District Attorney Hillar Moore's office with the state charge of communications of false information of a planned bombing on school property.

On October 16, 2012, Assistant District Attorney Jesse Bankston, Jr. filed a Habitual Offender Notice indicating the District Attorney's intention to charge Bouvay as a habitual offender with two prior felony convictions.

If convicted of the state charge as a habitual offender, Bouvay faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 13 years, 4 months, and a maximum sentence of 40 years imprisonment. This term of imprisonment must be served without the benefit of suspension of sentence, parole, or good time.

U.S. Attorney Cazayoux stated, "The United States is committed to ensuring the most effective and efficient use of our law enforcement and judicial resources. Since a successful state prosecution will result in a considerably higher sentence than a federal prosecution, we have dismissed the federal charge without prejudice to reinstate our charge if necessary once the state prosecution has been completed. This dismissal is a testament to our confidence in Hillar Moore and his office's ability to secure justice in this important case."

The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Frederick A. Menner, Jr.

Copyright 2012 WAFB. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow