Century-old Nacogdoches house destroyed by fire - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Century-old Nacogdoches house destroyed by fire

Posted: Updated:
Source: Kevin White Source: Kevin White
  • More Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Sports Persons of the Week: Jacqueline & Kimmie Rushford

    Sports Persons of the Week: Jacqueline & Kimmie Rushford

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:50:06 GMT
    Our Sports Persons of the Week are Deridder Track and Field stars Jacqueline and Kimmie Rushford. Jacq, a Northwestern State signee, placed 3rd in the 2000 meter steeple chase with a time of 7.51.16 at the USATF National Junior Olympics while her sister Kimmie finished 2nd in Pole Vaulting, jumping her best height of 12' 1.5".The Lady Dragon grad was also a 4 year letter winner and a 6-time district champion while the upcoming junior the the returning district champ in pole vaulting, long and...More >>
    Our Sports Persons of the Week are Deridder Track and Field stars Jacqueline and Kimmie Rushford. Jacq, a Northwestern State signee, placed 3rd in the 2000 meter steeple chase with a time of 7.51.16 at the USATF National Junior Olympics while her sister Kimmie finished 2nd in Pole Vaulting, jumping her best height of 12' 1.5".The Lady Dragon grad was also a 4 year letter winner and a 6-time district champion while the upcoming junior the the returning district champ in pole vaulting, long and...More >>
  • McNeese Baseball hosts All-Skills Youth Camp

    McNeese Baseball hosts All-Skills Youth Camp

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:46 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:46:31 GMT
    Head Coach Justin Hill wanted to gather young baseball players, get them out at Cowboy Diamond, and teach the basics of baseball. The kids got to learn from not only MSU coaches, but also from the players they look up to. Coach Hill says its really a chance to give back to the Cowboy faithful."I think it's a big thing. Our guys really like working these camps because they get a chance to interact with the fans a lot closer and they get to learn from the kids and the kids get to learn from the...More >>
    Head Coach Justin Hill wanted to gather young baseball players, get them out at Cowboy Diamond, and teach the basics of baseball. The kids got to learn from not only MSU coaches, but also from the players they look up to. Coach Hill says its really a chance to give back to the Cowboy faithful."I think it's a big thing. Our guys really like working these camps because they get a chance to interact with the fans a lot closer and they get to learn from the kids and the kids get to learn from the...More >>
  • Suspect in 2008 death, rape of Lake Charles woman in custody

    Suspect in 2008 death, rape of Lake Charles woman in custody

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 8:59 PM EDT2014-07-31 00:59:20 GMT
    Jose Manuel Garcia-Guevara, the man wanted in connection with the 2008 murder and rape of a Lake Charles woman, has been captured and is in custody in Calcasieu Parish.More >>
    Jose Manuel Garcia-Guevara, the man wanted in connection with the 2008 murder and rape of a Lake Charles woman, has been captured and is in custody in Calcasieu Parish.More >>
NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) -

A house built in the late 1800s burned to the ground Tuesday night in what fire investigators believe could have started with a gas leak.

The house, which had been divided into three apartments, had five occupants. Two were in the house at the time of the fire, but escaped safely. It is located on Hospital Street.

SLIDESHOW:

House fire

According to investigators, one of the residents had turned on an electric heater and then heard a "whoosh."

"I was in this apartment," Russ Havard, one of the home's occupants, said. "It made a little spark, and that's when I heard the noise behind the vent right there."

He opened the closet, saw a wall of fire, and got the other resident out safely.

"And the flames were probably already up in the ceiling about a quarter of the way."

Havard had seconds to call 911 and search for occupants. He found none. However, he didn't know that a hearing-impaired tenant was asleep in one of the units, totally unaware of the blaze. Fortunately, a neighbor reminded him of the possibility.

"And that was exactly what was going on, and he was kinda coming out coughing when they knocked the door in," Havard said.

Firefighters were called to the scene around 8 p.m.

Investigators believe there may have been a gas leak behind the walls. Once the heater came on, it sparked the fire.

"There was raw gas coming out of the main pipe in that room going straight into the attic space, and it spread pretty quick through the attic," Del Birdwell, a fire marshal with the Nacogdoches Fire Department, said.

The deaf man's hearing aids burned. The graduate art student lost her original works. An out-of-town tenant had to ask a friend to look for a cherished memory of her recently deceased dad. There were losses, but everyone is safe and grateful.

"The firefighters were great and the neighbors were just incredible, so that's the main thing I want to say."

Copyright 2012 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow