- When the Elton Indians do finally take the field on Saturday, they will have a new coach who is anything but a stranger.
The Elton Indians tied for the District 5-1A title in 2011 and hope to repeat in 2012, but they will have to do it with a new, old head coach; Doyle Carter, who also coached Elton in the mid 1990s.
"Coming in this late, you know, we're trying to put in a new offense," Carter said. "I tell the kids day in and day out, we want to get better at something every day. If we can do that, by the time district rolls around, we're going to be fine."
- The Basile Bearkats matched Elton's 4-and-1 district record last season, but to finish at the top again this year, they will have to overcome key losses on the offensive and defensive line.
- Oberlin completed the three-way tie for the 5-1A district championship last year, but new head coach Ronnie Simmons hopes the sting of some lopsided losses will motivate the Tigers in 2012.
- Hamilton Christian comes off a disappointing 2-and-8 finish a year ago, but new coach Reggie Nelson will use his experience as a McNeese assistant coach to mold his young Warriors.
- Merryville won just one district game in 2011, but after an offseason focused on strength and conditioning, the Panthers hope to finish games stronger this fall.
- South Cameron is in rebuilding mode after an 0-and-5 district record last season, but the Tarpons hope they can build upon their winning tradition and football culture this year, as all the teams in 5-1A get ready for another run at the district crown.