Thursday, May 23 2013 2:04 PM EDT2013-05-23 18:04:49 GMT
A nationally known priest from the Archdiocese of New York is sharing a message of faith in Southwest Louisiana. Father Jonathan Morris was the featured speaker at Thursday's Christus Hospice Luncheon.More >>
A nationally known priest from the Archdiocese of New York is sharing a message of faith in Southwest Louisiana.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 1:42 PM EDT2013-05-23 17:42:36 GMT
It took 51 years but 73-year-old Felix Vail is finally facing serious questions in the 1962 death of his wife Mary Horton. Felix claimed they were out checking trotlines on the Calcasieu River when MaryMore >>
It took 51 years to arrest suspect Felix Vail in the murder of his wife Mary Horton. KPLC's Lee Peck spoke to her brothers about the latest developments in the case.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 12:37 PM EDT2013-05-23 16:37:34 GMT
The following are closures and changes in garbage collection schedules in Southwest Louisiana related to the Memorial Day holiday: Lake Charles: The City of Lake Charles will observe the Memorial DayMore >>
The following are closures and changes in garbage collection schedules in Southwest Louisiana related to the Memorial Day holiday:More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 12:06 PM EDT2013-05-23 16:06:56 GMT
Lake Charles, LA (KPLC) - You may have noticed more termite swarms around your area. In Lake Charles, swarms could be seen in several areas including around the Racquet Club on Lake Street. We have alsoMore >>
You may have noticed more termite swarms around your area.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 12:03 PM EDT2013-05-23 16:03:25 GMT
The week of May 18-24 is National Boating Safety Week and the officers of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries are patrolling the waterways making sure everyone is following the rules andMore >>
As the holiday weekend approaches, officers of the LDWF want boaters to be safe on the waterways.More >>
Local News, Weather, Traffic, Sports, Stocks, Movies on your Cell PhoneMore >>
Get local news, weather, sports, and video on your mobile device.More >>
The following is a Press Release from the LSU AgCenter:
The recent outbreak of foodborne illness in several southern
states, including the death of a young girl in New Orleans, calls attention to
the need for individuals to follow food safety practices, says LSU AgCenter
nutritionist Beth Reames.
The outbreak and death have been linked to E. coli0145,
a strain of bacteria that produces a deadly toxin that can cause severe kidney
damage and death, Reames said.
Most strains of E. coli are harmless and live in the
intestines of animals, including humans. But several of them can cause mild to
serious disease. Symptoms of E. coli infection include a mild fever, severe
abdominal and stomach cramps, diarrhea – which is often bloody – and vomiting.
Some people, especially young children and the elderly, can
develop Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS), a condition that can lead to serious
kidney damage and even death, as a result of exposure to the Shiga-toxin
produced by some strains of E. coli.
Several outbreaks of the E. coli 0157:H7 strain infection
have occurred in recent years. These outbreaks were associated with
undercooked or raw hamburger, alfalfa sprouts, contaminated lettuce and other
leafy greens, unpasteurized fruit juices, game meat, dry-cured salami, cheese
curds and raw milk, Reames said.
"We're finding more strains of E. coli bacteria besides the
0157 strain," said Marlene Janes, LSU AgCenter food scientist.
Because of this, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food
Safety Inspection services have begun testing ground beef for additional
strains of E. coli, Janes said.
"Food can become unsafe to eat at any step in the flow of
food – where it is grown, during packaging and shipping, or when it is prepared
for eating," Reames said. "Although the American food supply is generally safe
and wholesome, disease-causing microorganisms can be anywhere, and research to
prevent foodborne illness is ongoing."
Petting zoos are another way for children to come in contact
with E. coli bacteria, Janes said.
"I don't recommend taking children to petting zoos," Janes
said. "But if you do, make certain the children thoroughly wash their hands. If
they get fecal matter on their clothes, make sure the clothes are washed, too."
Most foodborne illness can be prevented by following basic
food safety rules:
– At the grocery, choose frozen and refrigerated items last
so they remain cold until you get home.
– Refrigerate or freeze perishable foods as soon as you get
– Wash hands, utensils and work surfaces often, both before
and after preparing foods.
– Don't allow raw meats, poultry or seafood (or their
juices) to contact and contaminate other foods. Keep raw food separate from
ready-to-eat or already cooked foods.
– Use one cutting board for fresh produce and a separate one
for raw meat, poultry and seafood.
– Cook meats to recommended temperatures using a food
– Cook all raw ground beef, pork, lamb and veal to an
internal temperature of 160 degrees as measured with a food thermometer.
– Cook all poultry to an internal temperature of 165 degrees as measured with a
– Marinate food in the refrigerator, not at room temperature
on the counter.
– Thaw food in the refrigerator, under cold tap water or in
the microwave, not on the counter.
– When preparing fruits and vegetables, cut away any damaged
or bruised areas because bacteria that cause illness can thrive in those
places. Remove and discard outer leaves.
– Wash fresh fruits and vegetables thoroughly in clean,
running water. Immediately refrigerate any fresh-cut items such as salad or
fruit for best quality and food safety.
– Refrigerate leftovers promptly and reheat leftovers to 165
degrees before eating.
– Don't leave cooked food out at room temperature for more
than two hours, one hour when the temperature is above 90 degrees.
– Use leftovers within a few days of preparation.
"I always add, When in doubt, throw it out!" Reames said.