Man using gas to kill off ants badly burned

VINTON, LA (KPLC) - A Vinton man trying to kill off a bed of ants with gasoline was burned over 40 percent of his body Thursday when the fuel splashed onto his clothing and flared up.

The incident occurred in the 1800 block of Lablanc Street in Vinton this afternoon.

The unidentified 73-year-old man was airlifted to Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center in Lafayette, where he is listed in stable condition.

Vinton's Fire department said the flare-up occurred when the man poured gas on the bed and attempted to light it.

Acadian Air Meds transported the injured man to Lafayette. Firefighters assisted with the craft's landing zone.

Copyright 2012 KPLC. All rights reserved.