1 dead, 1 hurt in Welsh gunfire; nearby fire probed

Welsh Crime Spree
Photo courtesy of Marquesha Savoy
Photo courtesy of Marquesha Savoy
The location of the first shooting on Kennedy Street
The location of the first shooting on Kennedy Street
Bullet casing from the first shooting found on Kennedy Street.
Bullet casing from the first shooting found on Kennedy Street.
Photo courtesy of the family
Photo courtesy of the family

WELSH, LA (KPLC) - A string of crimes last night in Welsh leaves one man dead, another injured and a house engulfed in flames.

The Welsh police department is investigating two Sunday night shootings that left 20-year-old Tremain Wildridge injured and 20-year-old Denzell Lampkin dead. Police chief Tommy Chaisson believes the shootings are connected and may possibly be connected to a late night house fire as well.

Just after six o'clock the welsh police department received a call regarding shots fired on Kennedy Street.

Police say several individuals were walking down Kennedy Street when an individual came from across the street and began firing shots into the crowd. Wildridge was shot in the foot, and a car that was parked nearby was also struck.

Police say Wildridge ran down North Street to a nearby house for help while the shooter fled down Kennedy on foot. Wildridge was brought to a local hospital where he was treated and released. Just hours later, the Welsh police department responded to another shooting, less than a mile down the road from the first one.

"We went to the corner of highway 90 and 99," said Chaisson. "When we arrived, there was a black male passenger in a vehicle that was shot in the side."

According to police, Denzell Lampkin was that passenger and later died after being transported to a local hospital. Chaisson says he was shot on North Street while riding inside the car. The driver of the car sped away after the shooting started, and police stopped the car for excessive speed shortly after. There are no suspects in either shooting.

"We really need the community's help," said Chaisson. "Help us get these murders solved. So, I'm reaching out for the community to get involved and help us."

Shortly after the second shooting, the fire department responded to a structure fire on the corner of North and Sarah Street.

"Whenever we responded from the station, we could see the glow, so we called out another fire department to come help," said Welsh fire chief John Hall. "When we got there the structure was fully involved. It just happened to be at the same location as a previous call we had earlier in the night."

The house fire occurred at the home Wildridge fled to after being shot in the foot. The home is owned by Patricia Jackson.

"My whole life was inside that house, but it's all good. It's material things," said Jackson. "All this can be replaced."

Chief Chaisson says the department wants to first, solve the murders, and second prevent them from happening again.

"We just do the best we can of hitting the streets and staying on the streets and hopefully that is going to deter some of this," said Chaisson. "That's our goal."

Chief Chaisson says there are no suspects or persons of interest at this time.

Witnesses are still being questioned and the police department is asking for help from anyone who might have information.

The Jeff Davis sheriff's office and Louisiana state police are now assisting the Welsh police department with the investigation. Chief Chaisson says patrols in the area are expected to increase.

Copyright 2012 KPLC. All rights reserved.