Xtreme Step Team wins national network competition - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Xtreme Step Team wins national network competition

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) -

The Lake Charles Step Team called Xtreme Step Team won a national television network competition in New York City on January 11, 2012. 

Xtreme Step Team, comprised of students representing Washington Marion Magnet High School, LaGrange High School and Barbe High School, competed against another step team from Oklahoma on BET's 106 & Park "Wild Out Wednesday" show.

The show is based on a call voting system. Xtreme Step Team received 52% of the vote and the other team got 48% of the vote.

The team consists of young men and women 15-18 years of age.

"We would like to do more and expose more youth to the positive aspects of step so we are open to people finding more about how they can help", says Randy Baggett Jr., Xtreme Step Team founder and coach.

There are 13 members in total but only seven were chosen to compete. The team has traveled to places like Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Georgia and New York.

The team practices at the Purple Heart Recreation Center on Legion Street three days a week at two hours per day.

The Lake Charles Step Team goes back to compete in the All Star championship summer 2012. The prize for the All Star competition is $5,000.   

Members of Xtreme Step team who competed in NYC are:  

Jasmine Price – Washington Marion Magnet High School

Lexi Holland – Washington Marion Magnet High School

Jaresa Jackson – LaGrange High School

Devonte Aaron – Washington Marion Magnet High School

Devin Aaron – Barbe High School

Tyrone Cormier – Barbe High School

Matthew Thompson – Washington Marion Magnet High School (currently enrolled at McNeese State University)

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Sheriff's deputies doing robbery prevention detail at mall until Dec. 26

    Sheriff's deputies doing robbery prevention detail at mall until Dec. 26

    Monday, November 20 2017 1:47 PM EST2017-11-20 18:47:52 GMT
    CPSO's command center located at Prien Lake Mall (Source: Candy Rodriguez/KPLC)CPSO's command center located at Prien Lake Mall (Source: Candy Rodriguez/KPLC)

    If you're out shopping at Prien Lake Mall or another Lake Charles shopping center, don't be alarmed if you see an increased presence of law enforcement. 

    More >>

    If you're out shopping at Prien Lake Mall or another Lake Charles shopping center, don't be alarmed if you see an increased presence of law enforcement. 

    More >>
  • FIRST ALERT FORECAST: Beautiful weather continues this week with cool temperatures!

    FIRST ALERT FORECAST: Beautiful weather continues this week with cool temperatures!

    Monday, November 20 2017 1:41 PM EST2017-11-20 18:41:50 GMT
    Another cold front on its way!Another cold front on its way!

    For the rest of today, we will see mostly sunny skies with no chance for any rain. You will need a jacket as you head out the door because temperatures will still not warm up very much. Highs this afternoon are only going to be in the mid 60s. After sunset, we will quickly fall into the 50s, eventually back into the 40s again. By tonight, we will have clear skies with rain chances down to zero. Temperatures will cool down to the low to mid 40s tonight.

    More >>

    For the rest of today, we will see mostly sunny skies with no chance for any rain. You will need a jacket as you head out the door because temperatures will still not warm up very much. Highs this afternoon are only going to be in the mid 60s. After sunset, we will quickly fall into the 50s, eventually back into the 40s again. By tonight, we will have clear skies with rain chances down to zero. Temperatures will cool down to the low to mid 40s tonight.

    More >>
  • Boil advisory for parts of Southwest Allen Parish Water District

    Boil advisory for parts of Southwest Allen Parish Water District

    Monday, November 20 2017 1:15 PM EST2017-11-20 18:15:00 GMT
    (Source: KPLC)(Source: KPLC)
    Officials have issued a boil advisory for Southwest Allen Parish Water District #2 customers south and east of Kinder. About 500 customers are affected, officials said. For more information, call 337-738-5621. Copyright 2017 KPLC. All rights reserved.More >>
    Officials have issued a boil advisory for Southwest Allen Parish Water District #2 customers south and east of Kinder. About 500 customers are affected, officials said. For more information, call 337-738-5621. Copyright 2017 KPLC. All rights reserved.More >>
Powered by Frankly