The following is a press release from LSU media relations:
BATON ROUGE – LSU would like to remind Tiger fans looking for memorabilia prior to and following the Allstate BCS National Championship game to look for the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Product" label when purchasing LSU merchandise. This label assures the consumer that the product has been approved and represents the goodwill of the university. Products that do not bear the label, but use the marks of LSU, may represent trademark infringement.
When purchasing LSU merchandise, consumers should always look for the following characteristics to ensure the merchandise they purchase is officially licensed:
• All officially licensed merchandise should display the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Product" hologram somewhere on the product or hang tag.
• The merchandise should depict LSU logos and marks in a tasteful manner, as the university does not approve distasteful designs.
• The tag on the garment should be intact. A torn or missing tag is evidence of a second- hand garment, one that probably would not meet the stringent quality standards in place at the university.
• All merchandise should bear the name of the manufacturer somewhere on the product, either in the form of a hang tag or neck label, or should be screen-printed directly on the garment.
• All merchandise should have the appropriate trademark designations (i.e. TM or ®) next to a specific name or design.
LSU will be working with The Collegiate Licensing Company, or CLC, and law enforcement throughout the state to ensure that merchandise being sold is officially licensed.