Firefighters spent the morning battling a blaze at a home on Meadow View Loop off Gauthier Road this morning, Thursday, January 5. By the time firefighters got there the house was engulfed in flames and they were not able to save it.
Fire officials think the fire started after one of the family's dogs jumped up on the stove as he's been known to do--sometimes turning on a burner which the homeowner confirms.
Fire destroyed home a home south of Lake Charles this morning. It's in an area where they don't have fire hydrants. It doesn't sound like hydrants would have saved the house off Gauthier Road, but residents cannot help but wonder.
A devastating blow to Brenda Hazel to find her house destroyed by fire. Meadow View Loop off Gauthier, south of Lake Charles, is one of those areas without fire hydrants.
Lake Charles Fire District Chief Carroll Doty said, "When we arrived on scene it was coming through the roof just above the kitchen and it was already in the attic space of the house."
Still Hazel and neighbors, who live outside the city, thinks perhaps they should look at hydrants for the future. Homeowner Brenda Hazel said, "Well, this is the second house that's burned on this street and yes it's very frustrating. Because if they'd gotten water faster they may have been able to stop it. They do a great job of hauling it from near the little hospital but they really need to see about getting more fire hydrants to protect other people's homes. Neighbor Doug Scoggins. It would be nice to have city water or hydrants that they could draw from rather than having to transfer the water in and out by tanker truck."
This fire in November was on Petite Meadow. In such cases the fire department hauls water in trucks and sets up a reserve so they have water as needed. Despite no hydrants, Hazel thanks the firefighters. Said Hazel, "They all worked very diligently to try to get the blaze under control and then when they couldn't they started saving my most precious treasures. They pulled out my wedding pictures, my wedding dress, pictures of my children when they were little."
And she appreciates her neighbors pitching in to save what they could. They think the fire started after one of the family's dogs jumped up on the stove as he's been known to do--sometimes turning on a burner. Explained Doty, "The owner says their dog jumps on the stove at times and turns it on and that appears what happened. It turned the stove on with a box or something on top of it." Hazel said, "That's more than likely what happened. We have a new dog that we rescued and she would jump up on the stove and accidentally turn the burner on."
A water district in that area plans to lay water lines by the end of the year if funding works out.
A police juror from the area says they expect the lines to accommodate hydrants if and when there is money for hydrants.
There are no fire hydrants on the street, which is outside the city. Despite that, homeowner Brenda Hazel says firefighters did a great job. "I just want to thank the fire departments from all the areas for working so hard and getting special things out for me that mean so much. They all worked very diligently to try to get the blaze under control and then when they couldn't they started saving my most precious treasures. They pulled out my wedding pictures, my wedding dress, pictures of my children when they were little."
There have been other fires in this area outside the city where there are no hydrants. In such cases the fire department hauls water in trucks and sets up a reserve so they have water as needed.