CARLYSS, LA (KPLC) - The owner of Angelo's Fireworks, Connie LeJeune, says "angels" were watching over her shortly before fire broke out at her business' warehouse on Saturday. LeJeune says her late father, Herbert, started selling fireworks back in 1975 from the trunk of his car. The New Year's Eve fire that destroyed the warehouse that housed fireworks inventory was a first for LeJeune's family.
Connie was in the building just moments before the blaze. "My Mom and Dad, they are my angels, and I just didn't go back in. I'm just lucky that me and the little guy that was with me, we did get out and he's okay too."
The State Fire Marshal will send an investigator on January 2nd to assess the damage. Carlyss Acting Fire Chief James Stanley says, "Everything that we saw so far, there is no indication that somebody would have set it. Like I said, we won't know more until the Fire Marshal comes in and starts his investigation".
The metal building was built back in the 1980s. The front warehouse housed fireworks. The back warehouse contained tents and poles.
Sixty people were evacuated from the Ruth Street/Hwy 27 south area as a precaution.
All were allowed to return back to their homes just a few hours later.