Video surveillance heading to the Civic Center grounds - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Video surveillance heading to the Civic Center grounds

Featured Videos

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) -

 

The Civic Center area will soon see more video surveillance cameras on its grounds. 

With more people going out to the Civic Center, the Promenade and now Millennium Park, the city is taking action to make it a safer environment.

In the last year, the Lake Charles Lake Front has seen a fire that was ruled as arson destroyed the old Millennium Park Playground. And the bathrooms around the Civic Center became the scene of suspected lewd and indecent behavior.

With safety as a number one priority, Lake Charles City Administrator John Cardone said security cameras are in the plans to be installed throughout the entire Lakeshore area. 

"We've talked with the [Lake Charles] Police Department and their patrol out there on the Civic Center grounds, and along with the new surveillance cameras going to be installed under Phase Two of the Millennium Park project, we think it's going to offer a lot of benefits to the people in the area," Cardone said.

Phase Two of Millennium Park is expected to take four to six months to complete. During that time is when wiring for security cameras will take place.

Money from grants will fund the surveillance project and will include a high end server with a central monitoring system. It will also include infrared cameras, which will eventually be places on the grounds.

Cardone said this high end server will allow the city to purchase even more cameras in the future to use around the Lake area.

"We want to make sure that the Civic Center grounds, Millennium Park, the amphitheatre and the Promenade is safe. We want people to feel safe and feel comfortable out there," Cardone said.

The project will begin almost immediately. Cardone said in Jan. 2012 a bid will go out toward the high end server.

All rights reserved. KPLC 2011.

 

 

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Former DeRidder resident accused of double homicide in New Mexico previously convicted of manslaughter

    Former DeRidder resident accused of double homicide in New Mexico previously convicted of manslaughter

    Friday, May 25 2018 7:14 PM EDT2018-05-25 23:14:58 GMT
    Dustin Brian Montano (Source: Texas Department of Criminal Justice)Dustin Brian Montano (Source: Texas Department of Criminal Justice)

    A former DeRidder resident accused of a double homicide in New Mexico was previously convicted of manslaughter in Texas. Dustin Brian Montano, 31, is accused of killing Deborah Martinez and her 17-year-old daughter at an apartment complex in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Thursday. Montano was shot at a Walmart in Fort Morgan, Colorado. Montano was 18 years old when he stabbed Barton Jeffrey Woodard August 2005. Montano was involved in a fight that involved up to six men at a home in S...

    More >>

    A former DeRidder resident accused of a double homicide in New Mexico was previously convicted of manslaughter in Texas. Dustin Brian Montano, 31, is accused of killing Deborah Martinez and her 17-year-old daughter at an apartment complex in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Thursday. Montano was shot at a Walmart in Fort Morgan, Colorado. Montano was 18 years old when he stabbed Barton Jeffrey Woodard August 2005. Montano was involved in a fight that involved up to six men at a home in S...

    More >>
  • Arrest made in Beaumont bombing

    Arrest made in Beaumont bombing

    Friday, May 25 2018 6:59 PM EDT2018-05-25 22:59:28 GMT

    Federal authorities say a 40-year-old military veteran has been arrested in connection with two explosive devices found in southeast Texas in recent weeks according to the Associated Press.  Investigators say they found bomb components and mailing materials linked to 40-year-old Jonathan Matthew Torres to the devices while executing a search warrant Thursday at his Beaumont home.  Torres is accused of mailing bombs that  May 10 outside an Episcopal church, shattering ...

    More >>

    Federal authorities say a 40-year-old military veteran has been arrested in connection with two explosive devices found in southeast Texas in recent weeks according to the Associated Press.  Investigators say they found bomb components and mailing materials linked to 40-year-old Jonathan Matthew Torres to the devices while executing a search warrant Thursday at his Beaumont home.  Torres is accused of mailing bombs that  May 10 outside an Episcopal church, shattering ...

    More >>
  • Crashes causing traffic backup on I-10 throughout SWLA

    Crashes causing traffic backup on I-10 throughout SWLA

    Friday, May 25 2018 5:47 PM EDT2018-05-25 21:47:59 GMT
    (Source: KPLC)(Source: KPLC)
    (Source: KPLC)(Source: KPLC)
    Multiple crashes throughout Southwest Louisiana are causing heavy traffic backup all along I-10. Sgt. James Anderson with Louisiana State Police said they are currently investigating two crashes on I-10 in Jeff Davis Parish. Google Traffic is showing that traffic is especially slow near the Iowa exit. Anderson also said traffic going into Texas is backed up due to an earlier crash near Vinton. Additionally, traffic volume is up due to the Memorial Day weekend, Anderson said. If p...More >>
    Multiple crashes throughout Southwest Louisiana are causing heavy traffic backup all along I-10. Sgt. James Anderson with Louisiana State Police said they are currently investigating two crashes on I-10 in Jeff Davis Parish. Google Traffic is showing that traffic is especially slow near the Iowa exit. Anderson also said traffic going into Texas is backed up due to an earlier crash near Vinton. Additionally, traffic volume is up due to the Memorial Day weekend, Anderson said. If p...More >>
Powered by Frankly