Lake Street bridge to open in December - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Lake Street bridge to open in December

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) -

The Contraband Bayou bridge on Lake Street should be completed by the end of the December, according to Lake Charles Director of Public Works Mister Edwards.

The bridge reconstruction was scheduled to take four to six months to complete, and now in its fifth month, there are a few more things to do before the bridge is complete.

"When it's said and done, it's going to be a lot better," Edwards said. He said to prior to the construction, a lot had to be done.

"All the utilities had to be moved, all the telephone poles, all the light poles, all the energy poles, gas had to be moved. Every utility had to be moved," he said. Sewer systems and water lines had to be moved and a new drainage system was put in place too.

Edwards said part of the reason why the construction on the bridge and Lake Street is the foundation it's being built on, since it's near Contraband Bayou.

"A road is only as good as its foundation and it's going to give way if it has heavier trucks or equipment on it all the time," Edwards said.

He said he understands the frustrations of residents, drivers and business owners.

"I'm Joe Citizen too and I go other places and say ‘Why are they doing this and why are they doing that?' But I guess from being on the municipal side that has to deal with construction, there's never a good time to do construction," he said.

Again the bridge should be completed before the end of December giving time for businesses on Lake Street to cater to the holiday shoppers. As for the completion of Lake Street construction, Edwards said the street won't be finished until around May of 2012.

All rights reserved. KPLC 2011.

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • Former DeRidder resident accused of double homicide in New Mexico previously convicted of manslaughter

    Former DeRidder resident accused of double homicide in New Mexico previously convicted of manslaughter

    Friday, May 25 2018 7:14 PM EDT2018-05-25 23:14:58 GMT
    Dustin Brian Montano (Source: Texas Department of Criminal Justice)Dustin Brian Montano (Source: Texas Department of Criminal Justice)

    A former DeRidder resident accused of a double homicide in New Mexico was previously convicted of manslaughter in Texas. Dustin Brian Montano, 31, is accused of killing Deborah Martinez and her 17-year-old daughter at an apartment complex in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Thursday. Montano was shot at a Walmart in Fort Morgan, Colorado. Montano was 18 years old when he stabbed Barton Jeffrey Woodard August 2005. Montano was involved in a fight that involved up to six men at a home in S...

    More >>

    A former DeRidder resident accused of a double homicide in New Mexico was previously convicted of manslaughter in Texas. Dustin Brian Montano, 31, is accused of killing Deborah Martinez and her 17-year-old daughter at an apartment complex in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Thursday. Montano was shot at a Walmart in Fort Morgan, Colorado. Montano was 18 years old when he stabbed Barton Jeffrey Woodard August 2005. Montano was involved in a fight that involved up to six men at a home in S...

    More >>
  • Arrest made in Beaumont bombing

    Arrest made in Beaumont bombing

    Friday, May 25 2018 6:59 PM EDT2018-05-25 22:59:28 GMT

    Federal authorities say a 40-year-old military veteran has been arrested in connection with two explosive devices found in southeast Texas in recent weeks according to the Associated Press.  Investigators say they found bomb components and mailing materials linked to 40-year-old Jonathan Matthew Torres to the devices while executing a search warrant Thursday at his Beaumont home.  Torres is accused of mailing bombs that  May 10 outside an Episcopal church, shattering ...

    More >>

    Federal authorities say a 40-year-old military veteran has been arrested in connection with two explosive devices found in southeast Texas in recent weeks according to the Associated Press.  Investigators say they found bomb components and mailing materials linked to 40-year-old Jonathan Matthew Torres to the devices while executing a search warrant Thursday at his Beaumont home.  Torres is accused of mailing bombs that  May 10 outside an Episcopal church, shattering ...

    More >>
  • Crashes causing traffic backup on I-10 throughout SWLA

    Crashes causing traffic backup on I-10 throughout SWLA

    Friday, May 25 2018 5:47 PM EDT2018-05-25 21:47:59 GMT
    (Source: KPLC)(Source: KPLC)
    (Source: KPLC)(Source: KPLC)
    Multiple crashes throughout Southwest Louisiana are causing heavy traffic backup all along I-10. Sgt. James Anderson with Louisiana State Police said they are currently investigating two crashes on I-10 in Jeff Davis Parish. Google Traffic is showing that traffic is especially slow near the Iowa exit. Anderson also said traffic going into Texas is backed up due to an earlier crash near Vinton. Additionally, traffic volume is up due to the Memorial Day weekend, Anderson said. If p...More >>
    Multiple crashes throughout Southwest Louisiana are causing heavy traffic backup all along I-10. Sgt. James Anderson with Louisiana State Police said they are currently investigating two crashes on I-10 in Jeff Davis Parish. Google Traffic is showing that traffic is especially slow near the Iowa exit. Anderson also said traffic going into Texas is backed up due to an earlier crash near Vinton. Additionally, traffic volume is up due to the Memorial Day weekend, Anderson said. If p...More >>
Powered by Frankly