3/4 pound Shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Cajun spice blend(see recipe)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon wasabi powder
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons smelt roe
4 each seaweed
2 cups rice, short-grain
1. Rinse shrimp and pat dry with paper towels;set aside. Heat oil in a 12-inch frying pan over medium heat. Add shrimp, sprinkle with Cajun spice blend and cook, stirring, until just barely opaque throughout, 3-4 minutes. Remove shrimp from pan and chill 20 minutes.
2. Wash and drain rice three times until water runs clear. Place in rice steamer with a 1-1 ratio water to rice. Cook until the timer goes off. Transfer rice to a non-metallic bowl, add vinegar, and stir occasionally until the rice reaches room temperature. DO NOT REFRIGERATE!!!! Cover with a damp cloth between stirring.
3. Remove shrimp from the refrigerator. Cut in half and mix with mayonnaise and smelt roe(Japanese caviar). Mix wasabi powder with enough water to form a thick paste. Cover tightly and place upside down immediately. Do not inhale wasabi!
4. Lay sheet of seaweed on bamboo rolling mat. Dampening hands slightly, spread room temperature rice thinly over the sheet, re-dampening hands as necessary. Spread 1 fingerful wasabi paste down the center of the rice lengthwise. Spoon 1/4 of the shrimp mixture down the center of the rice lengthwise.
5. Using both hands with even pressure, roll up the seaweed wrap, shaping as you go. Repeat with remaining seaweed, rice, wasabi, and shrimp mixture. Slice with razor sharp knife dipped in water and serve immediately with soy sauce and leftover wasabi.