Carlyss house fire believed to have started from fireplace - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Carlyss house fire believed to have started from fireplace

By Theresa Schmidt - bio | email

CARLYSS, LA (KPLC) - Carlyss fire officials believe the blaze that destroyed a home there started in the fireplace. Luckily, the family escaped without injury when one of the children was awakened by noises.  The devastating fire erupted shortly after midnight and destroyed the home of Gay Cormier and her three children-- but luckily they were able to escape unharmed. Gay is deaf, but her 11 year old daughter Megan alerted the family."I was sleeping and I heard something hit the window and I looked outside and there were flames everywhere. So I ran to my mom and got the phone and called 911. We came out the front door."

Gay's brother David Currie is thankful they got out because his sister is deaf."She has smoke detectors and everything else but she is totally deaf. Without her daughter being here and waking up it would have more devastating possibly. It's a very difficult time with it being so close to Christmas. They lost everything except what they were wearing at the time of the fire."

Carlyss acting fire Chief James Stanley says they believe the fire originated in the fire place. "We talked to the homeowners who stated they had a fire in the chimney. The night before they had a bird nest that caught fire. Well they was trying to start a fire, and apparently they didn't put the fire out completely. He says it's important to clean the chimney each season. People with fireplaces, before the winter months, need to have the flues cleaned out every year and have the fireplace inspected to make sure there's no threat of the fire getting loose."

The family has homeowners insurance. For now they are staying with relatives but hope to move into a trailer soon. You can help the family get back on their feet. A fund has been set up at Cameron State Bank...

You can go to any branch and ask to donate to the Gay Cormier fund....

Copyright 2010 KPLC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly