By Michael Addison - email
ACADIA PARISH, La. (KPLC) - Some residents of Acadia Parish will spend their Thanksgiving holiday weekend cleaning up debris, after a tornado rips through their neighborhood.
No one was hurt.
Acadia Parish Sheriff Wayne Melancon says his office was notified just after 11 p.m. Thursday night by the National Weather Service that a tornado was on the ground.
Most of the damage was reported in the Iota and Richard areas, with downed power lines and trees.
The areas affected were (Courtesy: APSO):
- Charlene Highway near Richard - Roof damage, loss of metal building, down trees and power lines. Approximately 10 homes were affected.
- Iota Highway near Iota - Two homes sustained damage both losing their garage and one home knocked off the pillars.
- Atteberry Road near Richard - A large tree fell on the roof of a home causing moderate damage.
- Henderson Road near Iota - Damage to 6 homes with roof damage being reported to four homes and loss of a garage to one home.
- Howard Street in Iota minor damage was reported to a home.
- Roberts Cove - utility pole down.
There was also damage reported to several homes in the area. The sheriff's office says people who have significant damage to their property can call them at 337-788-8700.
The Iota Police and Fire Departments assisted Acadia deputies in the Iota area.